This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Incline Rows/Rows/Decline

Started by Henning Blom 243536, December 12, 2016 · 13 Replies · 379 Views

Henning Blom 243536

I just have some questions regarding Incline Rows (these questions are directed towards all the later row progressions as well). I have my rings attached to my stall bars, which means that the straps are at an angle when I'm doing my rowing, compared to what they do on the instructional video. I do think that this angle alters the force to some degree but I don't know if it is something to really think about or not. Does this angle matter for the different row variations? I really don't have anywhere else to attach my rings to have to straps go vertical like in the videos, otherwise I would have used that instead. 

If it does matter, is there a way to compensate for that? Like a slight top hold, going faster etc, depending if this angled version is harder or easier?

Also, I would suspect the Hinge Row to be quite a lot harder this way?

Rayne-William Fitzgerald

The angle matters when: 1. considering the difficulty level you wish to work toward. 2 being certain your back and or legs does not rest on the floor during any part of the set.  Overall tempo can make repetitions easier or harder. The same applies to holding a contraction longer

Regarding not having a place to hang your rings vertically down from. I hung my rings from the clothes hanger rod in my closet and when required propped my feet on a chair. When weather permits it, some people use tree branches or a horizontal pole at near playground. Others with a larger spending budget go to nearby fitness gyms.

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Henning, well nothing beats specific angles work, it is like when people forgot that isometric hold are specific for a particular joint angle. with different angle we have different leverage and different fibers involvement . if the goal it is the work over certain angles we need to reproduce it, modifying tempo or rom does not give the same benefits.

Leo Trinidad

I totally agree with Alessandro. Doing all these rowing variations helped me get my muscle up. Make sure you focus on form and consistency. 

Henning Blom 243536

Thanks for the replies guys :) I will try to look for a solution for this problem. I do not have any kind of cloth hanger that will manage to hold my weight. I live in a very small apartment. I also recorded myself to show how I currently do my rows with the angled straps at a slight incline. I only did some reps to show here, so this is not a part of a GB workout. 

If there is something I do wrong, go ahead and tell me. Its hard to tell from the angles, but I raise to the point where I hit my chest with my thumbs, and hold it slightly there. 

I guess the best is if I could find a way to have vertical straps still.

Since I live in Sweden, and it is winter now, training outside is hardly an option. It is not very tempting at least :P 

Bas Albinus

Maybe you can put a pull up bar in a doorway and attach your ring straps to it?
Or add a L section like monkey bars to the top of your stallbars?
You'll ind the challenge/difficulty of rows will increase with more vertical straps  and your feet not pushing off anything.

Regarding execution of rc/pe1/2 rows > looking at your video it's a bit hard to tell, but you could work on more shoulder depression + retraction > elbows tucked and supinate/pronate your wrists to get more rom.
 

Leo Trinidad

Hi @Henning Blom 243536,

Your solution is acceptable and will get you through most of the rowing variations. Although as @Bas Albinus said, the video angle is hard to check. 

Henning Blom 243536

Okay, thank you :)

I will keep more depression + retraction, and elbows in even more in my mind next time I do rows. My grip is somewhere in between pronated and neutral in this video, but I like to use different grips when doing rows, so I also do quite a lot of supinated grip, neutral and fully pronated. When I do these, the ROM is about the same though. I go to the point til' either the rings, or thumbs hit my chest. The instructional videos shows a neutral grip at the top though, so I've been using that when I've been doing the GB-training.

What angle(s) do you suggest I should film my rows in @Leo Trinidad? More from the side? The first angle was bad, I know, so I will have the camera pointing higher next time.

Suzanna McGee

You probably have at least one door at home. I bought myself a quite inexpensive ($17) pull up bar on Amazon, mounted it in the door frame, and put the rings there. I just move the rings to the side when I don't move them. Maybe that could be a simple solution for you? 

 

rings.jpg

Henning Blom 243536

@Suzanna McGee 

That's a good suggestion that I've been looking into actually. I got two doors in my apartment. One is the exit door out of my apartment into a long hallway, so that's not an option, unless I'm willing to have it constantly open for all my neighbors to freely see into my apartment. The other door is my toilet/bathroom door, so putting one there could be doable, but I'd like to be able to at least close the door when I have guests :) Maybe its not a big problem to attach and then detach over and over? I never had a bar like that.

The door seal on top of the door is too small, and can't hold a bar that is mounted that way. I already tried it and the bar falls off as soon as you put pressure on it <_<

The struggle is real.

I might try to get some mounts for the ceiling or something. 

Suzanna McGee

@Henning Blom, my bar is actually between the side frames. So you can keep it there and close the door as well. I just put it a few inches above my height so I don't need to bend over when passing through. I know that one day I would forget, haha. The bar is great also on just plain hanging, occasionally, when I pass through. 

Henning Blom 243536

Oh I didn't think about that. That should work! :) It is tight, but I should be able to have a bar there. Thank you @Suzanna McGee

Leo Trinidad

Hi @Henning Blom 243536,

A good angle would be from the side that can capture both the top and the bottom position. :)

Henning Blom 243536

Problem solved. I got a dip/pull up station. Its perfect for attaching my rings to, to do ring rows the way they should be done. Will record a video for form checks soon, since it is a little bit different compared to before.