How many days a week should I stretch?

Started by Jeffrey, January 22, 2010 · 8 Replies · 5,861 Views

Jeffrey

This could be a very stupid question but as the title said, how many days a week do I have to stretch? Atm I'm stretching 4 times a week after training but I'm not sure if this is enough.

Blairbob

Probably good enough. Are you still getting gains in your stretching program or maintaining flexibility. Depends on goals.

Nick Van Bockxmeer

four times is more than fine, any more would probably be counterproductive. Might want to consider a specific stretching session with the aim to increase flexibility rather than cooling down from training.

Jeffrey

I never stretched so I'm extremely inflexible. Atm I'm using this routine

Part 1

â—¦Cat stretch on a box, 30 seconds.

â—¦Arms back on floor, 30 seconds.

â—¦Seated pike with back relatively straight, 30 seconds.

â—¦Seated straddle, 30 seconds.

â—¦Side splits, 30 seconds.

â—¦Knee lunge, 30 seconds.

â—¦Front splits, rear knee down 30 seconds. Then with rear knee straight, 30 seconds.

Part 2

â—¦Cat stretch for 60 seconds.

â—¦Arms-back shoulder stretch for 60 seconds.

â—¦Seated straddle for 60 seconds,

â—¦Side splits for 90 seconds.

Part 3

â—¦Stretch any weaknesses (rehab for the knee specific stretching)

Blairbob

Are you getting more flexible?

gottabfit

I always feel like I lose flexibility on the days that I don't stretch. I've never been able to do a split. About seven years ago, I was taking private lessons in gymnastics and worked on splits every day for a month or so. I got down pretty far but then I QUIT!

Neal Winkler

Whoops, wrong thread. I have nothing to say here.

Jeffrey
Blairbob said:
Are you getting more flexible?

Slowly! I dont expect it to happen overnight but I tought I would gain some flexibility by now which imo isnt all that much. But I should give it some time and see what it brings.

gottabfit

I always gained flexibility pretty fast in my pike stretch. Then I would have pretty good progress in my front splits. I never saw any improvement at all in my side splits.