This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Raw Veggies and Heartburn

Started by Kathleen Dorzinsky, December 9, 2016 · 4 Replies · 126 Views

Kathleen Dorzinsky

Raw veggies seem to give me heartburn. I had cut them out a while ago and it went away but I added them back while on Thrive and sadly my afternoon post salad heartburn is back. I thought it might be the dressing and cut that out but no dice. I don't add onions or tomoates to my salad, usually just lettuce, carrots, cucumbers and bell peppers. Its also not a huge salad like you get in a restaurant. I also don't drink a lot of liquid at mealtimes which only seems to make my GERD worse. Today I just ate plain old raw carrots, 3oz of chicken and a handful of raspberries. and I'm still feeling the burn. Any advice? Can I just add another serving of cooked veg? Maybe there is another solution?

Pauline Taube

Hi Kathleen :) 

Have you tried to juice your veggies? 

Kathleen Dorzinsky

No, I haven't tried juicing. Do you think it might be the fiber? I have to admit I'm a little leery to try liquids. Drinking water at a meal can make my reflux worse and gives me a cough that could put a two pack a day smoker to shame. Worth a try though, the more I figure out the causes, the easier things are for me. I had a chronic cough for 6 years till I cut out the raw veg. I couldn't figure out why the healthier I ate the worse it got. (Maybe it's a sign that I'm supposed to just eat McDonalds all the time ;)) I'll try a small amount and juice and see how it goes. 

Margaret Graham

This is my daughter's experience, she finally went to a gastroenterologist for very similar symptoms. She could have written what you wrote. She has a condition called gastroparesis which is a difficulty with the vagus  nerve innervation of the stomach. Essentially she has very slow stomach emptying and thus cannot eat much fiber or fat at any one time, raw veggies are horrible for her so she has to eat processed; cooked, fermented etc food. Not to say junk food though like you that tends to give her the least trouble. @Kathleen Dorzinsky  Talking with a gastroenterologist might be worthwhile, 

Jeff Serven

I would tack down medical help. There were two Dr in Australia who got a Nobel Prize for flipping the idea that Gerd is low not high acid levels. Goggle it and if you like it find an MD with a similar philosophy.