This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Strange question

Started by Leigh Kettle, December 9, 2016 · 12 Replies · 197 Views

Leigh Kettle

Hey guys

This may seem trivial but I would like to get your advice on something ive noticed now I'm becoming more aware of my body and its whole positioning thanks to gst .

 (Incidentally I'm sorry if ive posted in the wrong place but I wasn't sure where to post this )

i have started to incorporate mark Collins suggested psoas and iliacus releases  into my daily schedule

Tonight  whilst doing these I noticed that when I completely relax my legs and feet I have quite a significant "drop" to one side of my right foot. (See pic) 

 

Is this something I need to be concerned about and/or need to address and if so what exactly is happening here and (if anything) what could I do to help correct this 

many thanks guys,

starting gst was hands down one of the best decisions I've ever made  :-) 

leigh 

image.jpeg

Alessandro Mainente

Probably one side has more tight aductors, in your case the left side can have stronger adductor and the right side more strong abductor (like medial glutes).

Tanya Hill

Hi Leigh, 

GST is definitely a life style that creates strength for all aspects of life. 

Never a strange question! Actually very common for many adults to have external rotation in the legs. Sometimes one leg more than the other.  Tightness in the hip flexors, quads and even outer hip will cause the leg to rotate out. The Front Splits course will definitely help strengthen and stretch this particular area for you. 

 

 

Antonio Alías Montoya

Leigh, it happens the same to me. Do you have problems with Swivel Hips with your right leg? I can t barely move my knee down to the floor, so I am sure I ll be working on it for maaany months.  Also my quads and hip flexors are tighter in my right leg. Do you follow the strecht series also? If you train them togheter with Foundation everything will get fixed with time and you ll learn your imbalances and tight areas. 

 

John Cunningham

Yeah same here, slight difference in leg length for me seems to have caused the external rotation and symptoms expressed in hips and knees but I am aware of the problem and working through it.

Hey, no one is totally symmetrical are they ?

Si Hoang

Hi Leigh,

I'm going to offer a possible alternative suggestion. When I looked at your picture it was like looking at my own but in my case it's the left leg that rotates out more. I had an MRI a little over a year ago to help diagnose a labrum tear but they also found that I had acetabular retroversion of the left hip. It's quite a mouthful when saying it but basically it's a structural issue where the mouth of the acetabulum doesn't align anteriorly but in a posterior way. If you google it you can get a more detailed explanation but going back to my symptoms, because of the structure of the hip my internal rotation sucks big time on the left leg. While my right leg is just an inch away from the ground during swivel hips my left is a good six inches off. I have been told by my physiotherapist that I can only get so much internal rotation as it's a structural issue but to keep doing swivel hips to maximize what's possible.

I hope you don't have this issue because to do so sucks but I thought I'd make you aware that such a thing exists. Before the MRI I had no idea about it but having read a bit about it since then, it seems that it is more likely diagnosed in those who were highly athletic during their adolescence. Other than that they haven't worked out any of the causes for it.

Leigh Kettle
12 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

Probably one side has more tight aductors, in your case the left side can have stronger adductor and the right side more strong abductor (like medial glutes).

Thanks alessandro. any advice on what I could do to help even this out ?

Leigh Kettle
11 hours ago, Tanya Hill said:

Hi Leigh, 

GST is definitely a life style that creates strength for all aspects of life. 

Never a strange question! Actually very common for many adults to have external rotation in the legs. Sometimes one leg more than the other.  Tightness in the hip flexors, quads and even outer hip will cause the leg to rotate out. The Front Splits course will definitely help strengthen and stretch this particular area for you. 

 

 

Thanks for your feedback Tanya, I am currently doing the MS series and have the TB coming as a Christmas present:) I definitely want all 3 so will get this asap and hopefully them combined will sort this board of a body out lol 

Leigh Kettle
10 hours ago, Antonio Alías Montoya said:

Leigh, it happens the same to me. Do you have problems with Swivel Hips with your right leg? I can t barely move my knee down to the floor, so I am sure I ll be working on it for maaany months.  Also my quads and hip flexors are tighter in my right leg. Do you follow the strecht series also? If you train them togheter with Foundation everything will get fixed with time and you ll learn your imbalances and tight areas. 

 

Hi antonio

swivel hips are definitely feeling tighter one side however I actually think my progress with these has been half decent. I seem to now have similar ROM each way, think the MS series has helped me with this .

i currently follow F1, HS and MS but soon enough will be following all the 3 stretch series . Like you say hoping this will help me with these imbalances 

good luck on your journey also 

 

Leigh Kettle
7 hours ago, Si Hoang said:

Hi Leigh,

I'm going to offer a possible alternative suggestion. When I looked at your picture it was like looking at my own but in my case it's the left leg that rotates out more. I had an MRI a little over a year ago to help diagnose a labrum tear but they also found that I had acetabular retroversion of the left hip. It's quite a mouthful when saying it but basically it's a structural issue where the mouth of the acetabulum doesn't align anteriorly but in a posterior way. If you google it you can get a more detailed explanation but going back to my symptoms, because of the structure of the hip my internal rotation sucks big time on the left leg. While my right leg is just an inch away from the ground during swivel hips my left is a good six inches off. I have been told by my physiotherapist that I can only get so much internal rotation as it's a structural issue but to keep doing swivel hips to maximize what's possible.

I hope you don't have this issue because to do so sucks but I thought I'd make you aware that such a thing exists. Before the MRI I had no idea about it but having read a bit about it since then, it seems that it is more likely diagnosed in those who were highly athletic during their adolescence. Other than that they haven't worked out any of the causes for it.

Hey si

many thanks for your feedback

my swivel hip rotation each way is actually quite similar although one way definitelg feels tighter so this may suggest I'm good structurally Just tight

my day job as a plumber may explain this imbalance . I'm far more aware of what positions im getting into in daily activities thanks to gst and have noticed when I'm on my knees undertaking my various plumbing jobs in my heavy boots , I tend to sit over on one side rather than on both my heels (due to the boots) I'm actively trying to stop myself doing this or at least sitting on each side equally but my usual position definitely favours one side . Maybe this has created an insidious imbalance over time 

Alessandro Mainente
5 hours ago, Leigh Kettle said:

Thanks alessandro. any advice on what I could do to help even this out ?

Of course stretch a bit more the left side and improve the left side strength and stretch out the right side (glutes expecially) and improve adductor strength.

Suzanna McGee
9 hours ago, Leigh Kettle said:

I'm actively trying to stop myself doing this or at least sitting on each side equally but my usual position definitely favours one side . Maybe this has created an insidious imbalance over time 

That's very very possible. I would not even sit on each side equally, but I would sit on that "bad" side most of the time. Until they even out. Then you sit on both of them equally :) 

Leigh Kettle
8 minutes ago, Suzanna McGee said:

That's very very possible. I would not even sit on each side equally, but I would sit on that "bad" side most of the time. Until they even out. Then you sit on both of them equally :) 

Yes Suzanne great advice . Breaking habits is so hard and I'm constantly reminding myself of my body position - all good tho :-)