Pull up top position: My scapula cannot retract

Started by Chris H, December 9, 2016 · 6 Replies · 7,124 Views

Chris H

I have trained pull up for about a year and I can do 1 reps of one arm pull up. However, my back is really lack of thickness compare with friends who train with me.

I see the main difference between and my friend, is that they retract their scapula in pull up top position. But for me, I cannot do that, when I do pull up mostly my back is rounded and not retracted. It seems I cannot activate my traps and rhomboids to retract.

I have winged scapula problem, one side of scapula is quite unstable, this may contribute to the problem.

How do I learn to retract scapula when I do pull up? Help would be really appreciated!

Everett Carroll

Hey Chris,

The best way to begin building proper mechanics and control in your pulling is to start with rowing variations like those found in F1. It is always best to begin building proper habits in the most basic progressions before attempting to implement them in more advanced exercises. 

Alessandro Mainente

It depends on the type of pullup. if it follows the bbuilder style then you have a lack of strength on retractor and depressor.

on the other side if you are following a GST skills developments style you need to stay rounded.

Haitham Samir

To add thickness to your back, you need to do rows. or you can arch your back while pulling and keep your legs bent backwards and pull the bar to your chest focusing on bringing your elbows to your sides (this is not the gymnastic style, but still a good variation)

For the weak protraction you can train for them from the bottom position.

Luke Searra

In my experience Chris simply widen your pull up grip for your pull ups and you will be surprised in 2-3 months.

Jang Hyun Seong
On 2/13/2017 at 3:11 PM, Luke Searra said:

In my experience Chris simply widen your pull up grip for your pull ups and you will be surprised in 2-3 months.

Do wide grip pulls actually help in recruting the upper back muscles (lower/mid traps & rhomboids)? I always thought it only helped with recruiting the teres major. 

Does it have to do with wide grip pulls making the scapula go outwards in wide grip pulls? (not so sure about this)

 

Would love to hear your thoughts.

Mats Trane

I would work on scap pulls. Grab the bar, with straight arms, pull your self up as high as you can even though if its Only an inch or two.