I have no access to a gym nor secure area, so I must practise it in grass...
Is there any Backflip progression program with no equipment?
Started by Marcelo Lara, January 22, 2010 · 19 Replies · 19,686 Views
I have no access to a gym nor secure area, so I must practise it in grass...
Is there any Backflip progression program with no equipment?
Do you have access to a pool?
There must be a zillion bboy videos on Youtube with backflip tutorials. Your desire to learn from those is limited only by how much bad music you can endure (why do they all plaster their videos with the worst music ever recorded?) and watching sloppy, saggy bboy fashion.
Blairbob said:Do you have access to a pool?
With water, yes... I suppose that there must be other kind of pool, or somewhat you call it, but I'm confusing with my english :shock:
jl5555 said:There must be a zillion bboy videos on Youtube with backflip tutorials. Your desire to learn from those is limited only by how much bad music you can endure (why do they all plaster their videos with the worst music ever recorded?) and watching sloppy, saggy bboy fashion.
Woah, thanks ![]()
Hahahaha no matter of that, I can put it on Mute ![]()
jl5555 said:There must be a zillion bboy videos on Youtube with backflip tutorials. Your desire to learn from those is limited only by how much bad music you can endure (why do they all plaster their videos with the worst music ever recorded?) and watching sloppy, saggy bboy fashion.
hahahahah!
if you can't already do a backwards roll, that's a good starting point.
here's drills you can do. i'm assuming you have access to a wall and a table.
try this with a wall. do the sit and the arm swing, jump as high as you can unto the wall and raise your knees and hips.
try this with a table. lie down with your head at the end, arms up. as fast as you can tuck your knees and get your hips up and over. do it fast enough that momentum carries you over to your feet.
try this with a table. lie down with your head at the end, arms up. as fast as you can tuck your knees and get your hips up and over. do it fast enough that momentum carries you over to your feet.
this is one of the bread and butter drills I do. However, opening up to feet is only 3/4 of a full rotation so I like to have them work it to back into the pit or soft mats. You have to watch out for opening up too soon (to the face).
Yes, pool with water. Submerge yourself ( go underneath with head covered with water). Squat down, jump up and tuck flip out of water.
You can also do the table drill into the water. You can eventually do the back flip off a diving board.
The table is a normal table? Because I imagine the exercise and I can't imagine the rotation: probably I would crash or put my hands to continue the movement. :?
Quelso said:The table is a normal table? Because I imagine the exercise and I can't imagine the rotation: probably I would crash or put my hands to continue the movement. :?
I can already do a flip, but I never heard of that drill. I just did it off my bed, which is less then 2 and a half feet off the ground. The first time I was unsure and put my hands down, but after that it was fine.
It is very similar to a backdrop onto trampoline that bounces and a backward roll is performed in the air to feet which is basically a back flip.
Learning to backflip into a pool from the edge or off the diving board is very stupid imo because it teaches you of obvious causes to jump backwards and not up.
most beginning backflips are going to have some travel anyways.
The first time I ever did a back tuck on land, I didn't travel much but I landed slightly awkwardly.
I didn't do one for a long time, and because of BHS training, I have a massive travel backwards but I landed perfectly upright. That's probably just because I was doing a BHS with a tuck, lol.
This night I was watching Parkour and Freerun videos, and the ilumination came to me!
Watch the move at 2:00
Ga6gHmJ198A
Quelso said:This night I was watching Parkour and Freerun videos, and the ilumination came to me!
To start out might be better doing it perpendicular to the bar I'd think.
Sternford said:Quelso said:This night I was watching Parkour and Freerun videos, and the ilumination came to me!To start out might be better doing it perpendicular to the bar I'd think.
Yeah, or do it on two parallel bars or two rings, so that your legs don't kick against the bar! :shock:
I'm going to try that right now! :?
Sternford said:Quelso said:This night I was watching Parkour and Freerun videos, and the ilumination came to me!To start out might be better doing it perpendicular to the bar I'd think.
Of course. Doing this like it's shown in the video could be dangerous
(and no efficient, as well)
One of my friends learned how to do a backflip the freerunning way. By jumping off of stuff ![]()
I think it can be better in some concerns, but worse in others to learn that way. You have more time to rotate around and over, but you have to jump backwards instead of up. Plus, falling from a height is harder + more dangerous if you mess up.
I've never learned any motion off of stuff. I've just learned through the magics of "progressive breakfalling." lol Us martial artists can simply jump harder into a flipping breakfall and rotate a little more. That = flip
I learned one legged front flips and normal ones in the same minute I started. Of course, you need to know how to breakfall, and it will take some time getting used to ( change of technique, and as in a few months to perfect everything). But, knowing how to break a fall in gymnastics, or any sport really, can help save yourself from serious injury. Plus, it's great body awareness for everyone.
When I first taught myself to do standing backs, I would set the rings to the point of where they would be at the peak of my jump, jump up and then tuck/pike over in a fluid motion. I commonly use this as a test when someone asks me when they want to work standing backs.
The arms ideally will not flex at all and it's merely used to encourage the set.
If they cannot perform a quick powerful skin the cat, tucked 360, they really have no business IMO to work standing backs.
Since I have not Rings, I must use my bar.
Seiji said:One of my friends learned how to do a backflip the freerunning way. By jumping off of stuffI think it can be better in some concerns, but worse in others to learn that way. You have more time to rotate around and over, but you have to jump backwards instead of up. Plus, falling from a height is harder + more dangerous if you mess up.
I've never learned any motion off of stuff. I've just learned through the magics of "progressive breakfalling." lol Us martial artists can simply jump harder into a flipping breakfall and rotate a little more. That = flip
I learned one legged front flips and normal ones in the same minute I started. Of course, you need to know how to breakfall, and it will take some time getting used to ( change of technique, and as in a few months to perfect everything). But, knowing how to break a fall in gymnastics, or any sport really, can help save yourself from serious injury. Plus, it's great body awareness for everyone.
That way's the more quickly, but the fear can make you injuried: That's the thing :?
build rings soon