This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Lateral Knee Pain

Started by Jessica Feliciano, December 9, 2016 · 8 Replies · 156 Views

Jessica Feliciano

Hello :)

Started the middle split program four weeks ago and it's definitely been great. I have noticed during certain movements, I experience lateral knee pain. (Maybe the meniscus?) Anyways, I was wondering if anyone may know of an exercise or stretch that will allow me to strengthen that part of my knee. 

Thank you in advance :)

Jessica

Suzanna McGee

Maybe a really tight IT band? Try to roll it, it's kind of hard to stretch well.

Nicholas Murray

The IT band isn't supposed to be stretched - it's connective tissue that helps to keep the knee stable. There are two factors - that I know of - affecting tension in the IT band.

One is the TFL muscle (tensor fascia latae, just below and to the side of the boney part at the front of your hip. To find the right TFL, stand up, poke this area, then shift your weight onto the right foot. The muscle that pops out under your finger is the TFL).

Best way to reduce tension here is to use a tennis ball in a sock: hold it against the muscle and lean against a wall. After you're used to this, you can try it on the floor.

Foam rolling doesn't really affect the ITB at all, but it *might* affect the lateral quads. Since they are under the ITB, rolling *might* have an effect.

Having said all of this, what movements hurt? If you're in the same range, but with NO movement, does it still hurt?

If you are at all concerned about the meniscus, see a physio/physical therapist.

Suzanna McGee

@Nicholas Murray, true… long time ago, when I started to play tennis very intensely, I started to get pain on the outside of my knee. Everybody thought it was meniscus. It showed that my IT band was really tight. Because my glute was not firing, it was compensating. Rolling/massaging it and getting rid of the trigger points got the "knee pain" away in a few days. Many of my tennis players clients deal with similar…  I thought it would be a good thing to try, it may help.  The TFL massage as you suggest, too… 

Jessica Feliciano
13 hours ago, Suzanna McGee said:

Maybe a really tight IT band? Try to roll it, it's kind of hard to stretch well.

That's what I suspected as well since it's on the outside. 

@Nicholas Murray My knee hurts when I get into butterfly and vertical frog (it hurts when my knee is extended). 

I thought doing those twist squats might help with the outside of my knee because of the rotation. What do you think? 

Ryan Bailey
14 hours ago, Jessica Feliciano said:

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone may know of an exercise or stretch that will allow me to strengthen that part of my knee. 

Hi Jessica, the SLS mobility in Foundation 2 works great for this area. Have you tried gently warming up with these prior to Middle split stretch?

Jessica Feliciano

 

3 minutes ago, Ryan Bailey said:

Hi Jessica, the SLS mobility in Foundation 2 works great for this area. Have you tried gently warming up with these prior to Middle split stretch?

I haven't, but it's something I've been thinking about. Is there a particular warm up you suggest? I'm guessing something dynamic?

Ryan Bailey
1 minute ago, Jessica Feliciano said:

Is there a particular warm up you suggest? I'm guessing something dynamic?

Sorry, not really any unique suggestions from me at least. I think everyone is pretty individual. The coaches might have some specific advice for general warm up prior to stretch series though.

Everett Carroll
15 hours ago, Jessica Feliciano said:

I was wondering if anyone may know of an exercise or stretch that will allow me to strengthen that part of my knee. 

Hey Jessica,

I suggest backing off of the MS stretch series until you are able to stretch pain free and, ideally, consult a sports physio/chiro about the discomfort. You don't want to tamper with issues like this. A good physio will definitely have supplementary exercise recommendations for the specific issue.