this is vid of my 3rd round from Ring Strength series I did today...having problems with my fwd roll to MU and shoulder stand especially...any tips?
Thanks!
HV4NdplnpPY Link is Work, Family Safe...some hip hop in the background but it is Christian ![]()
Started by Aushion Chatman, January 21, 2010 · 6 Replies · 2,991 Views
this is vid of my 3rd round from Ring Strength series I did today...having problems with my fwd roll to MU and shoulder stand especially...any tips?
Thanks!
HV4NdplnpPY Link is Work, Family Safe...some hip hop in the background but it is Christian ![]()
The forward roll to mu is basically just a bent arm muscle up after u roll forwards. As u kip on your initial muscle up I think this is your main problem with this move. Once you can easily do beyond shoulder width strict mu from dead hang u'll find a forward roll mu extremely easy. It also looks a little like you are losing your false grip a little during the forward roll, obviously maintaining a strong false grip makes it way easier.
With the shoulderstand its hard to see exactly wat's going on, but it looks like legs are apart a little and your losing tension through them.
Hope that helps
Gymnastics with shoes? Why aren't you wearing these brah?

Trianglechoke7...Ha...NO Vibrams because I don't own any...I guess it's just a Crossfit habit on the shoes...I'll lose them next time! Used to having to run or do cleans after multiple MUs
Demus....Because the first portion of the Ring Strength was the L-Sit I just kipped the initial muscle up (especially since this was my 3rd round) But I hear ya, I know I could be stronger in my MU. I can perform strict MUs though. Not extremely wide however so I will keep working the strength.
Thanks for the tips guys...I'll try to get my whole legs in frame next time I do shoulder stands and video myself.
L-sit has rings turned in from parallel instead of parallel or turned out.
As for your shoulderstand, I would like to see you L-sit, press while keeping legs piked and tuck only after your have pulled your hips as high as possible in the press. In a press to shoulderstand, ideally you won't bend your arms till you have nearly capped out how high you can press your hips up.
Try the MU with piked legs. It has been some months since I was able to forward roll MU, but I think because your legs are straight and you are more compressed, it's works better versus having that part of the body lower (which is why you are sort of falling too much out of the forward roll). Going slower will help, but if you do it piked, your legs will be over your head (while piked) versus below farther out from you. Dang, I miss doing this and it was something I never had worked until GB.
You start your first bulgarian dip with the rings not turned out with straight arms. You kip the last part of your bulgarian dip in the second rep. I would prefer, you keep your head up with eyes forward as you perform the bulgarian dip versus hunching over.
Knees together on your tucked levers. I have a problem with this as well and always have and don't really know why. I've never had a really great tuck while it's more easy for me to keep a clean pike shape. One of my mentors said pike was a more natural body shape for my body (so thus using a pike shape for double front/backs made more sense [my standing back pike flip was a lot cleaner with more compression/rotation than my standing back tuck though I've never really worked a front pike flip much to a passable degree]).
I don't like crossing the feet...ever. It just as simple to keep the feet together. I know CF'ers do it, but well, that's my say on it.
Work on turning your hands out every time you are in support position, also in the l-sit as blairbob said. Great video ![]()
Do not allow the arms to straighten slightly in the middle of your forward roll.
Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer