This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Thoracic pain with handstands

Started by Kevin Chaussee, December 8, 2016 · 1 Replies · 84 Views

Kevin Chaussee

Hi.  I have a question about my handstands.  I have been loosely following H1 for a couple years.  I have some thoracic scoliosis and an old compression fracture at T3.  When I advance to the wall handstand (which I have done without mastering previous mobility), I get pain in my thoracic spine for a couple days after doing the handstand.  I will be completely honest in that my mobility probably isn't what it should be and I am likely getting into a position that I'm not ready for, but I am starting to be able to balance for 5-10 seconds when just playing around.  I guess the question is: If I completely back off the more advanced movements (for me it's playing with free HS, wall runs and facing wall HS) and start from scratch at PE1, will the shoulder mobility that I gain take some pressure off my T-spine and allow for better progress in the long run?  I am almost afraid to go back and start over as there is a slight fear of losing what balance I have started to develop.   I am hopeful that the answer is that I'm in over my head and that trusting the program as written will take care of the issue <_<  

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Kevin, you should know that in case of limited shoulder mobility all the compensation moves to the lower nodes? like thoracic part and lumbar part? before attempting more advanced exercise you have to be sure that your mobility it is ok. 2 years make are not enough since after 5 years (after haven been seeing the handstand one elements) i'm still working on improving my shoulders mobility.