This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Stiff Legged Windmill - shoulder position

Started by Wade Grocott, December 8, 2016 · 5 Replies · 253 Views

Wade Grocott

Hi,  I have been doing the stiff leg windmill for a number of weeks and have a question about shoulder position of the arm holding the weight.  

I start standing and raise my arm overhead holding the weight. To begin the windmill, should the arm/shoulder be reaching up as high as it can, or should the scapula be neutral or depressed?

I ask because if I start the movement reaching up (i.e. shoulder by ear) I have little to no clicking, crunching, popping in the shoulder.  However, if I start with a more neutral position or if I depress the shoulder there is quite a bit.

Should I work through the crunching and popping, or keep elevating?  This happens with both shoulders. Which is correct, and which is best for me for now?

Thanks!

Jeffrey Bittner

Hi Wade,

Great question. Starting with the weight pushed up is not only fine, it is essential.  And this upward pressure (elevation) should be maintained thoughout the entire rep.

The focus, as far as the shoulder goes, is that you are rotating the shoulder joint as you lower into the stretch as well as keeping it directly underneath the hand at all times. Crunching and popping is okay as long as there is no pain involved. If this is painful, or becomes painful, we may need to re-evaluate.

Wade Grocott

Thanks! I'll keep working on it.

Ted Boyce

Hi, I also have the same trouble with the stiff legged windmill, and after my first week there is a lot of pain involved so I stopped doing it with my arm overhead. Where do I go from here, an alternative exercise? A specific warm-up before? Stop all together? 

Thanks for any help, Ted

Everett Carroll

Hey Ted,

Stop performing the movement for now and consult a medical professional. Temporarily, you can perform the same motion with your lower body and avoid involving your shoulder until you've received a proper diagnosis. It is never a good idea to train through joint pain.  

Coach Sommer

Hello Ted,

Never train thru pain.  Pain is an indicator that the element is either being performed improperly or with too high a load.

Rest the shoulder for one week minimum.  Do nothing that annoys or aggravates it.

After one week, you may test the shoulder.  Note that test does NOT mean jumping right back into what you were doing previously.  It means slowly and cautiously exploring if there is movement without pain or restricted R.O.M.

Post a video for review of your unweighted windmill technique.

If there continues to be pain, rest the shoulder for an additional week.  During this period, focus on Core, Lower and mobility.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer