This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Finished 2nd Week of FS - great experience!

Started by Ted Rarrick, December 8, 2016 · 5 Replies · 170 Views

Ted Rarrick

I would have never believed it, but today I completed my second week of FS and it was a great experience!

I have basically zero flexibility, which in the past caused me to exert way too much effort to get into a stretch, which in turn usually caused way too much discomfort, and sometimes injury. Today, I re-watched the technique/scaling videos before firing up the follow-along video. I used lots of yoga blocks and long straps but hey, you do what you have to do! But, the result was I was able to scale the stretches and by really focusing on the moves and relaxing I almost felt like I was right there in Coach Sommer's class!

Coach Sommer said in one of his posts that we should focus on the journey and not the end. He also said that we should only be taking the discomfort level to a 3 or 4, vs the 8-10 I use to do. This has made all the difference in the world to me. Because of this, today I was able to have 60 uninterrupted minutes to do something good for my body and I can not put into words how good it felt.

I still haven't figured out to scale the second-to-last move in FS - vertical lunge straight leg. Any tips for this would be greatly appreciated.

Again, I am very thankful I found GST :)

Jeffrey Bittner

Hi Ted,

That's awesome! It's great to hear that you are experiencing success in your training and making those small improvements daily. Keep it up!

Joshua Hibbert
On ‎08‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 1:59 AM, Ted Rarrick said:

I would have never believed it, but today I completed my second week of FS and it was a great experience!

I have basically zero flexibility, which in the past caused me to exert way too much effort to get into a stretch, which in turn usually caused way too much discomfort, and sometimes injury. Today, I re-watched the technique/scaling videos before firing up the follow-along video. I used lots of yoga blocks and long straps but hey, you do what you have to do! But, the result was I was able to scale the stretches and by really focusing on the moves and relaxing I almost felt like I was right there in Coach Sommer's class!

Coach Sommer said in one of his posts that we should focus on the journey and not the end. He also said that we should only be taking the discomfort level to a 3 or 4, vs the 8-10 I use to do. This has made all the difference in the world to me. Because of this, today I was able to have 60 uninterrupted minutes to do something good for my body and I can not put into words how good it felt.

I still haven't figured out to scale the second-to-last move in FS - vertical lunge straight leg. Any tips for this would be greatly appreciated.

Again, I am very thankful I found GST :)

I struggle with that stretch as well.  I am restricted by my ankles, quads, hips and hamstrings so I basically do the vertical lunge bent again but with my front leg as far forward as is "comfortable" so there is a little more focus on the hamstrings as well as the quads and hip flexors,  I don't get much further than a right angle.  This might not be the best approach and welcome the input of the more experienced but that was my idea of how to scale it back.

Ted Rarrick

Joshua - thanks for the input. That's basically how I approached it - right angle was all I could get to. Unless anyone else has a way to scale it, I guess the thing to do is just get in the best position we can and be patient with our progress.

Diedrik Jonge

Hi! 

I scaled it by a putting, first a chair, then a smaller chair, then yoga block under the knee that's bent.  Now I can do them with back knee on the floor. 

Ted Rarrick
On 12/15/2016 at 1:41 PM, Diedrik Jonge said:

Hi! 

I scaled it by a putting, first a chair, then a smaller chair, then yoga block under the knee that's bent.  Now I can do them with back knee on the floor. 

Diedrik - great idea on how to scale this. thanks!