Headstand/RLL question?

Started by Longshanks, January 21, 2010 · 5 Replies · 2,512 Views

Longshanks

Ive recently given up handstands due to it causing my supraspinitus injury to flare up, so I've given up any elbows above shoulder height exercises.

However headstands are a bit too easy now and wanted to gradually increase the load in my shoulders to strengthen the weak spots in my shoulder gradually. I've just been holding the reverse leg lifts isometrically at gradually lower angles. My question is this: what percentage of your bodyweight would you say is on your shoulders when you hit say 45 or 90degrees with your legs? Your legs are about a third of your body weight aren't they? Ive found with my other injuries that an increase of about 10 percent every SSC seems to be the right amount so I don't make anything go twang you see.

Blairbob

Use a scale by putting your hands on it while in HeS to determine pressure?

Longshanks

Very clever! I like it! lol

Longshanks

Well I tried it out tonight on the scales and this is what I found if anyones interested...

A normal headstand has 25% bodyweight on the shoulders

A headstand/RLL with feet at 45degrees has 50% bodyweight on the shoulders

A headstand/RLL with feet at 90degrees has 75% bodyweight on the shoulders

This realy intrigued me since your legs are only a third of your bodyweight typically. I guess the lever length increases the load a hell of a lot. Especially at 6'5'' (and legs that long!). I can see how RLL's would really help develop shoulder strength for the bottom of HSPU's. What an awsum exercise!

Blairbob

Very cool. I need to try this at home on my friend's scale when he isn't around.

Longshanks

Did you try it out Blairbob? I'm curious how different the leverage would be with people of different heights.