This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

How to approach Foundation One?

Started by Mathew Butler, December 7, 2016 · 7 Replies · 237 Views

Mathew Butler

Having completed fundamentals which is organised around extensions to routine each unlocked daily, I expected a similar structure to foundation one. 

I'm unsure where to start and what order to address the exercises. Do I mix them up? What order ensbles the fastest progress whilst achieving rounded strength, flexibility and form?

My goals are;

improved shoulder flexibility, improved thoracic flexibility, better balance, and improved handstand form (I'm going back to basics for this)

So, how to get the most out of the course please?

Thanks in advance for you response.

Mat.

 

 

 

 

 

Tanya Hill

Hi Mat, 

Welcome to the GymnasticBodies community. 

The Fundamentals course is the building blocks of Gymnastic Strength Training™. The purpose of this course structure is to allow you to focus on one thing at a time. There is no number or reps and sets. However go through each movement and work towards perfection. 

Fundamentals exercises are continued through out the GST courses and many times used as warm up. 

To address your goals. The 'Most Popular' bundle will keep you busy for quite some time and includes strength and mobility work. The Handstand one course will also be a great addition to build your handstand back up. 

 

 

Everett Carroll

Hey Mat!

Great questions. Each week, all you need to do is simply complete each available Foundation workout (upper body, lower body, and core) once, on any day or days you choose. The workouts shown are not workouts assigned to a particular day or time or for performing in any particular order.  Note that there are no days of the week or consective numbers placed on any of the week's workouts. You have total freedom and flexibility to create your own schedule.  Mix and match the various components in any way and in any order for that week as you choose. 

You do have a weekly planning feature available on your dashboard. If you click 'Set My Schedule', you will be able to select the days you plan to perform each workout. You can also use Coach Sommer's recommended weekly schedule by clicking 'Use Coach Sommer's Recommended'. 

To complete a workout, all you need to do is click on one (for example, click 'Core'), and you workout will begin playing. Our interface is designed to make the follow along videos an integral part of your F1 training. 

F1 and Handstand One work nicely together and will certainly help you with your shoulders, thoracic mobility, handstands, etc. Like Tanya said, the stretch courses are also wonderful for improving in these areas. If you need more assistance with the interface, you can always submit a support ticket for a more detailed walk through.

 

Tom Feldmann

I am a few months into this program, here is my two cents:

I would say the fastest way to progress is...slowly.

Really, be patient, and brutally honest about form and pacing.

There have been exercises that seemed very easy, until I really analyzed the movement and form.

The thoracic bridge series has done wonders for my shoulders, I have more mobility than when I was a young pup of 40 :lol:

One of the coolest things about GB, there is no time limit, you paid for the course, you have it.

Enjoy the process

 

Mathew Butler

Thanks for all the responses. 

Thanks for the pointer to the planning feature, Everett. 

Hi Tom - I'm 44 and have been doing regular Yoga the last 5 years. Whilst this has promoted some flexibility, I appreciate that the require form can be very different. Plus I'm still left with tight shoulders and thoracic. I'm definitely planning on taking things at a slow pace. 

As an example, I can reach past my toes, but have always wanted to go further. Now I have discovered Jefferson curls and understand one of the missing links to improving my reach which will lead into other exercises. 

Thanks for you kind words.

 

Kevin Easton

One thing I have noticed and I was told it was going to happen:  GST will expose your weaknesses.


It's hard to swallow your pride and even when it's obvious it's still hard to do.

 

Now the mobility is a whole other conversation. 

My 2 cents: Be patient and when you hit road blocks just realize everyone hits a roadblock or two in Foundations.  It will happen and will probably happen a few times.  Some people get stuck on a particular movement for MONTHS, but eventually beat it and move on.

 

Tom Feldmann

Mat, 

Your yoga practice will translate well to this, the patience and focus and required is the same.I have practiced yoga since my teens, went through a five year stint in my early 40's of intensive practice and study with some of the masters, principally Ashtanga. Though I am not quite as flexible, (yet), as I was during those years, I am, in certain ways more mobile, if that makes sense.  As Kevin mentioned, this system will expose, and address your weak links very thoroughly. You will dig it. Curious to see what you think in a couple months. 

Rayne-William Fitzgerald
On 12/10/2016 at 0:25 AM, Tom Feldmann said:

I am a few months into this program, here is my two cents:

I would say the fastest way to progress is...slowly.

Really, be patient, and brutally honest about form and pacing.

There have been exercises that seemed very easy, until I really analyzed the movement and form.

The thoracic bridge series has done wonders for my shoulders, I have more mobility than when I was a young pup of 40 :lol:

One of the coolest things about GB, there is no time limit, you paid for the course, you have it.

Enjoy the process

 

Adding to the post above...

Read what you have access to not just once or twice... read with purpose to comprehend what is there. You will find answers to questions you may later have.

Watch the course videos multiple times, you will find details that you might have missed on previous occasions. In addition to submitting videos for review through the course portal and or on the forum as a public "Form check." The course videos themselves can be used to check your own form against.

Above all else the course material is prepared in such a way that it is an education on the training demands of elite level of gymnastic conditioning. The entire Foundation series is just the beginning. Our individual progress into the course material does not equate to being on the same level of the elite gymnasts. To the elite gymnasts the foundation series can be compared to a walk in the park.