This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Question about stretch series.

Started by Chaeyoung Jung, December 7, 2016 · 7 Replies · 187 Views

Chaeyoung Jung

Hi.

I'm doing stretch series and I think it's really good. However, I'm thinking about doing half of stretch series because of lack of time.

In the video, Coach Sommer said do the stretch series once a week. Is it okay do them(front split, middle split, thoracic bridge) twice a week if I do half time & reps of them ?

Sorry for bad English.

Tanya Hill

Hi Chaeyoung, 

The stretch courses can be done more then once a week as long as your body is getting proper recovery. 

It is also important that you are maintaining a balance of both strength and flexibility. Being to flexible with out supporting strength can lead to injuries later down the road. 

 

 

Everett Carroll

Hi Chaeyoung,

Awesome question! Since you are limited on time, that will be just fine. Be sure to carefully monitor your recovery like Tanya said. If you find you are exceptionally sore from doubling up, then reduce the volume. 

Chaeyoung Jung
24 minutes ago, Tanya Hill said:

Hi Chaeyoung, 

The stretch courses can be done more then once a week as long as your body is getting proper recovery. 

It is also important that you are maintaining a balance of both strength and flexibility. Being to flexible with out supporting strength can lead to injuries later down the road. 

 

 

Thanks for the comment. I will keep monitoring my body !

Chaeyoung Jung
13 minutes ago, Everett Carroll said:

Hi Chaeyoung,

Awesome question! Since you are limited on time, that will be just fine. Be sure to carefully monitor your recovery like Tanya said. If you find you are exceptionally sore from doubling up, then reduce the volume. 

Thank you for advice !

Jeff Donahue

So to delve a bit deeper into this question, because I am also someone that is limited in time.  I have plenty of time to workout, but it tends to be in smaller chunks.  I can do about a half hour in the morning, another half hour at lunch.

So would it be better, if you were planning to do FS twice a week but for shorter time, to do all the stretches for a shorter time, or to do half the stretches during on session and then the other half during another session?  I would think it would be better to do half and half because I gathered when listening to the video that holding the stretch for the 90-120 seconds was critical to getting more flexible.  I think Coach Sommer even said something to the effect in the video that holding for shorter times was not effective.

Thanks

Jeff

Suzanna McGee

@Jeff Donahue How about if you start your stretch series the first 30 minutes in the morning, and then at lunch break you finish it (another 15-20 mins) and the rest of the time you add some other stretches that your body needs (shoulders? hip flexors? adductors?)… or do some extra abs? ;)  

Everett Carroll

Hey Jeff,

I think it would be best to do two FS sessions, cutting time/reps in half. I suggest this because it is better to be warm for the more intense stretches found towards the end of the series.