This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

My experience with GST

Started by Dieter Wichmann, December 6, 2016 · 9 Replies · 304 Views

Dieter Wichmann

Hi,

would like to share some of my experiences I made in the past 26 months being a member of this great community.

I am 56, 186cm and 80KG; my main sport activity is/was running. Personal bests (from last year)

Marathon: 3:22:44

10k: 41:46 (my dream is to run below 40 minutes)

 

Don’t know exactly when but there was a day when I realized that endurance is not enough to stay fit & healthy in a long run. Mobility and strength is as least as important. With this idea I did some search in the Internet and found this community.

When I started with F1 my goal was to move forward as fast as possible and manage mastery soon. As you can image this approach didn´t work well. After a few months I was exhausted and reduced the weekly workload. And after some more months I even stopped doing any GST training.

In January 2016 (during a Ski trip) I took the decision to restart with a different approach. Today I am half way in F1 for most exercises and in F2 for some other. I am very happy about my progress. Here some of my lessons I learned and what I changed in my life:

GST is a kind of lifestyle. You have to integrate in into your daily life. I am quite sure that I will do GST in the couple of years.

My schedule is:

M: F4

T: F3 + H1

W: F4

T: F3 + H1

F: F4

Sa: F3 + H1

So: MS and FS while my wife is watching TV (for the German readers: during Tatort)

TS (still very challenging for me): I do when I have some energy left during the week.

 

When I am in vacations I do less; when I am on a business trip I use the day(s) as deload day(s).

I am not member of a Gym. I train at home. This saves a lot of time because you can start immediately whenever you are ready.

I use paper and pen to track my training. In each training session I want to be better than in the last one. Many times I do micro steps like 5*30reps, 5*31reps, 5*32reps to reach e.g. 5*60reps. This takes more time but this way works great for me.

Exercise I don´t like (e.g. like Vertical Pike Walk) I do more than in the schedule. Doing so it changes the “relationship”; today Vertical Pike Walk is one of my favourite exercises.

GST is the cheapest hobby/sport you can do. You just need gym trousers. Ok you have to pay for the shower but that´s it. So doing GST saves you quite a lot of money in comparison to other activities. Take this money and invest it in the BEST equipment you can buy/affort. Can´t imagine a life without stall bars anymore.

Follow coach Sommer´s tips but more important: be your own coach; listen to your body and change things if necessary.

Be active in your everyday life: On a map of my city I have drawn a 5miles circle around my house. Whenever I have to reach a destination within this circle I use my bike and not the car.

As a WarmUp I do some of those exercises I mastered in the past and every second day in addition JCs. I increase the weight by 1KG every month.

Before I sleep I try to visualize next days training. This is a good preparation for and as a side effect it helps me to fall asleep.

I read most forum articles and watch every “form check video” and all the valuable comments from the forum coaches.

I do videos from myself and compare them with the mastery videos.

MS: I use the “120s Isometric Middle Split” exercise as an indicator of my progress. I started with 125cm  (3 months ago) and now I am at 160cm. (Distance between left and right foot).

FS: I use the “90s Vertical Lunge Bent” as an indicator of my progress. I started with 72cm  (3 months ago) and now I am at 138cm. (Distance between wall and feet in front)

 

Pauline Taube

Hi Dieter,

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Congratulations on your achievements :) patience and consistency is the key. And most students realize after some time that there's no point of rushing through :) 

Suzanna McGee
7 hours ago, Dieter Wichmann said:

Exercise I don´t like (e.g. like Vertical Pike Walk) I do more than in the schedule. Doing so it changes the “relationship”;

I always do that too :) it's all about habits. We can learn how to love anything.

Great post, @Dieter Wichmann… I also always read all posts, all form checks, and always try to analyze the videos myself before I read the coaches' answers. It's very educational.  This entire community here is amazing!!! :) 

Jon Douglas

You sir are on track :)

Leonhard Krahé
10 hours ago, Dieter Wichmann said:

during Tatort

:D

How come it doesn't kill you to do two stretch series in a row?

Dieter Wichmann

Hi Leonard,

again TS is very challenging for me. Couldn´t do TS and (MS or FS) in a row. 

There was one post by a trainer saying (hope I remember right) that on a scale from 1 (no pain) to 10 (painful) you should do stretching with an intensity of 3 to 4. In addition I do some short breaks between certain exercises. I know it´s against the rule but it works for me.

And - because I am a runner - my endurance capabilities are not so bad...

Hope this answer your question?

Best regards

-Dieter

Hermann Thiel

Hi Dieter,

Thank you very much for this post. It is both motivational and instructive. I will use this to give to some of my friends who are thinking about starting GST to get an idea what it is all about.

Greetings,

Hermann

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

You do GST every day?! Wow, your recovery is tip-top. That is impressive on so many levels. Kudos to you for having everything dialed in. 

Mark Schoenhard

Great story Dieter.  Have you researched the Movement Course?  A month after starting Movement One, I had noticeable improvements in Foundation and Handstand training.  Nice work!

Dieter Wichmann

Hi Mark,

I do the Movement training when there is time left and sometimes as the warmup.

-Dieter