This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Imbalance - left & right

Started by Ahmed AbdelAzim, December 6, 2016 · 4 Replies · 124 Views

Ahmed AbdelAzim

Hi folks ;

I've been on and off GST for the past 2 years. I love the new features and have been getting back at it. I've had a shoulder injury (multiple dislocations and surgery) a few years back.

As I'm working on Foundation 1, all of the workouts utilise both sides (left and right together). I have no issues with that and can see progression happening.

However I have noticable discrepancy between  left and right strength.

Is there a way that I can tweak & isolate exercises to be able to balance strength and not over compensate, not having my dominant side do most of the work?

Any guidance is appreciated.

Regards,

AAA 

Tanya Hill

Hi Ahmed, 

It is very common for most athletes to have one stronger side.

If you notice a significant difference between sides you can add a few more reps on the weaker side.

Definitely share some videos of your training to get a better assessment. 

Coach Sommer

Hello Ahmed,

In this instance your weaker side becomes the side which guides your training.

1) Always maintain proper form.  Use a mirror as necessary.  No skewing or twisting to accomodate the weaker side.

2) Never focus your training on your stronger side.  When the weaker side is done, so are you.  

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Ahmed AbdelAzim

Thanks Coach Sommer & Tanya for the response.

Coach Sommer, thanks for the tips especially on skewing. The challenge that I have is in exercises that are not done separately for each side (e.g. scap shrugs, push ups, ring rows, etc.) where I can not isolate the movement to one side.

I've tried to illustrate this imbalance with pull ups & chin ups in the following videos:

GST - Strength imbalance:

GST - Strength imbalance slo mo

 

Everett Carroll

Hey Ahmed,

These imbalances would be best worked out in the earlier RC progressions of F1. I suggest submitting a form check for each RC progression, beginning with PE1, and ensuring you can master each with appropriate form and balance. You have significant compensation going on so it is well worth your time to return to more basic pulling variations.