This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Totally new perspective thanks to this program

Started by PAUL DALY, December 6, 2016 · 3 Replies · 206 Views

PAUL DALY

Over the years (48), I've done a number of different training programs (so to speak, some are admittedly pretty half assed).

The two things that really qualify for me as "paradigm shifts" (if you'll excuse the business buzzword):

1  New conception of volume. 5 sets of 15 pushups with no real rest in between??? Usually in the past it was pretty much 3 sets or 4. And reps would usually max out at 12. And the rest would be 1-2 minutes. Woof. 

 

2  New conception of pace of progress: I used to push for some measurable progress every week. And of course that is why I would try so many different training programs, because after a few months of that, you're either injured, overtrained or frustrated with the plateau. 

Now, I'm fine with the fact that I'm at a certain step for a few weeks. It's a totally different perspective.

 

Thanks very much Coach and company!

 

Steven Gilmore

Good read Paul. I've noticed the same thing and point 2 has led to one thing for me, consistency. I'm 44 and have always aimed for a PB every workout. Even when I was 10 years old and road running I'd write my stats down and note my records and constantly try to beat them. Problem with that now, and even then at 10, was as soon as you plateaued the motivation would dwindle and you'd be off looking at the next thing to do. 

I hit my stop watch and try to do the pushups within the time they do on the video. Because of the low/no rest I'm stuck at 4 x 9 and have been for months. One thing I've noticed though is my body is really changing. Like my triceps are sticking out and my shoulders and back are getting hard and ripped. My body is responding to doing 4 body weight workouts a week for 6 months. Because I haven't burned out, my body is responding to that consistency. I've learned to be patient, I struggled doing 3x2 at the start so I've moved on from there (been going 6 months) and have trust that the 4 x 9 will come. (but it won't be next week!).

I got stuck on 4x12 ring rows for months.......every workout, 12,12,10,8 aaaaarrrrgggghhhhh! But then just last night I nailed 4x12 for the first time. I just decided to have faith in the coach and try patience for once in my life. Hey, who knew, it works!

Ted Rarrick
6 hours ago, PAUL DALY said:

2  New conception of pace of progress: I used to push for some measurable progress every week. And of course that is why I would try so many different training programs, because after a few months of that, you're either injured, overtrained or frustrated with the plateau. 

Now, I'm fine with the fact that I'm at a certain step for a few weeks. It's a totally different perspective.

 

Paul - I know what you mean about this. I just started last week. Focusing on form and listening to your body helps me fight the urge to rush through a workout.

PAUL DALY
On December 6, 2016 at 2:17 PM, Steven Gilmore said:

Good read Paul. I've noticed the same thing and point 2 has led to one thing for me, consistency. I'm 44 and have always aimed for a PB every workout. Even when I was 10 years old and road running I'd write my stats down and note my records and constantly try to beat them. Problem with that now, and even then at 10, was as soon as you plateaued the motivation would dwindle and you'd be off looking at the next thing to do. 

I hit my stop watch and try to do the pushups within the time they do on the video. Because of the low/no rest I'm stuck at 4 x 9 and have been for months. One thing I've noticed though is my body is really changing. Like my triceps are sticking out and my shoulders and back are getting hard and ripped. My body is responding to doing 4 body weight workouts a week for 6 months. Because I haven't burned out, my body is responding to that consistency. I've learned to be patient, I struggled doing 3x2 at the start so I've moved on from there (been going 6 months) and have trust that the 4 x 9 will come. (but it won't be next week!).

I got stuck on 4x12 ring rows for months.......every workout, 12,12,10,8 aaaaarrrrgggghhhhh! But then just last night I nailed 4x12 for the first time. I just decided to have faith in the coach and try patience for once in my life. Hey, who knew, it works!

EXACTLY. I've been stuck at 5x9 push ups for I don't even want to know how long, but I've definitely been improving throughout that time. My form is better and my body has definitely changed in response. So I'll stick with it, some day I WILL get to 5x15, and beyond.