I am start to get some mild pain after the front splits series. It seems to be around the SI Joint. I'm wondering if this is normal soreness or if I should be concerned. Just hoping to avoid any injuries so that I can keep progressing. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
SI Joint Pain
Started by Jeff Doornweerd, December 6, 2016 · 5 Replies · 124 Views
Jeff
When you are new to stretching and even if your not, this program is the best and Soreness is normal. Follow as coach Sommers says a moderate discomfort during the stretch. If you start too feel a sharp pain back off. Over time the aches will diminish and you will feel the stretch more in the muscles and tendons. Many times as people start they will feel it more in the joints and ligaments as the joints start to open. Myself I have learned to understandtand what my body is telling me and can push a little harder. When I first started I ached for a couple days after, but I pushed a little harder than moderately uncomfortable and I do not recommend this too any one it is just I have learned my limitations over time. During the stretches try to take slow deep breaths and with each exhale relax the muscles. If you are huffing and puffing and saying oh s--t you are probably pushing too hard so back off some. If you are feel good during the stretch increase it a little. Just pay attention too what your body is telling you. Some times are brain says I can do this and the body says "Houston we have a problem" so so pay attention to your body. I hope this has helped. Connective tissue in the joints takes longer to adjust than the muscles due to less blood flow so do not be in a rush to get there and hurt your self, because then it will even take longer.
Michael
Thanks for the response Michael. I'm definitely not new to stretching. I teach yoga and have practiced for years but I've never stretched in such a focused way. Usually in a yoga class you get a well rounded group of stretches and I'm noticing that with the gymnastics approach it really targets every muscle that might be limiting you in a specific movement which is allowing me to get much deeper into the stretches. Breathing is definitely relaxed and muscles are too. I guess I'm just surprised at how sore I am getting from the stretching and wasn't sure if it was normal or I should be backing off. I think I may have a higher threshold for pain and would like to try to avoid injurying myself because I am really enjoying the training.
Jeff
Before I did GB I also did yoga and yes you do stretches but as you say it is not as focused, especially middle split and thoracic. These stretch courses bring a whole meaning to stretching. I did yoga and in certain stretches I just could not move ahead. With This program I am finding I am finally getting farther than I have in years because of the focused approach.
Hello Jeff,
As Michael mentioned, excessive post workout soreness is usually indicative of too much training intensity. Time to dial it back a bit. And then continue dialing it back until you reach a point where severe post workout soreness is not an issue.
Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer
Thanks for the feedback coach.