This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Lunch vs Dinner Fat

Started by Stuart McFarlane, December 6, 2016 · 4 Replies · 167 Views

Stuart McFarlane

Jeff,

I'm posting this here as if I do it in one of the earlier lessons I fear I may reveal something I shouldn't to people who have yet to complete thrive 1!

At the moment I eat a chicken based lunch (probably breast) and a red meat based dinner (maybe lamb fillets, sirloin steak etc).  It works out very convenient to do this.  However I recall the requirement to have some fats with lunch and that this wasn't a requirement for dinner. 

How much/what am I gaining if I go to the disproportionate effort to move my fattier red meats to lunch and my leaner white meats to dinner?  If I did this I would also probably stop adding EVOO to my lunch salads as the meat would bring the fat.  So I'd save perhaps 30g of fat a day (but I don't live in fear of fat so it's no big motivator for me).

In a side note I really hope Jan 1st brings a new Thrive course - don't ruin my Christmas now Jeff, I want to spend Jan/Feb watching videos of you in a kitchen.

maxresdefault.jpg

Much appreciated

Stu

Jeff Serven

Stu,

Keep what ya' got. Most people eat red meat for dinner(as oppose to lunch). The reason I don't want you to add fat intentionally is because you ate a fat and protein breakfast and had fat with lunch, theres no more need to add fat. Now, dinner is usually a littler higher in fat naturally and thats another reason I don't want you to add to it. 

Stuart McFarlane

Ok. Makes sense. Just to be clear I'm not currently intentionally adding fat to dinner - but as you say I'm getting it inherently by eating a (fattier) red meat.

I was wondering if by having white meat instead for dinner I might be more "optimal" because I would be removing the majority of fat from dinner. But I get now that the Thrive programme second guessed we'd eat fatty meat for dinner so didn't prescribe extra.

Cheers coach

Stu

  

Jeff Serven

Some days you will eat a leaner fish or white meat and thats okay. The ebbs and flow of dinner fat over the course of a calendar year will balance out as less fat generally. 

Arsen Giller

How does this apply to cooking your vegetables. I typically roast my vegetables in okive oil. Does this translate as an intentional addition of fat or are we talking about adding things like cheese/eggs etc...?