This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Little Or No Progress?

Started by Wesley Manson, December 6, 2016 · 13 Replies · 326 Views

Wesley Manson

Hey everyone. I understand that it is normal to be on 1 progression for a long period of time and that it takes time to build strength, but I have been on wrist handstand holds 4x48s for almost 3 months! I don't seem to to progressing at all because I can't even break that 4 sets of 48secs. Not sure what it is. I was thinking maybe it has something to do with training upper bod the day before I do handstand work, but it seems like a lot of people do this. 

 

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Rayne-William Fitzgerald

There is a lot of possibilities. To get the fastest and the most comprehensive answer. Use the video review submission area, to post "Form check videos," that you can find in the course specific web portal.

If you do not know where that area is you can find it a number of ways. It is usually to the right of your screen with an icon that seems like an old school VHS tape recorder.

The picture below is just one example: VideoReview.jpg

Jon Douglas

Well, what's the issue? Your form breaks, your arms are pounding, your shoulders depress.... what is it that fails? If there is a genuine lack of progress, it's going to come down to either working too hard -- such as losing form and taking the emphasis off the working muscles and structures -- or not working hard enough, which is usually solved by us telling you how easy you made that look and to hold on for another few seconds each time :D

Posting a video check will help us advise you on this one :) if it's a mental fortitude thing, have a glance over some of the chin hold and arch body hold threads -- people have come up with heaps of small strategies to help with static holds :)

Alessandro Mainente

HI Wesley, in order to receive a good review you can use the course page but I recommend the Forum in order to have different pov and experiences from Forum Coaches which can be extremely useful for you.

Wesley Manson

It seems that my scapula eventually starts to give and I began to depress my shoulders. I believe I have good form, but I will try to video myself somehow to show you. 

My training schedule is as followed:

Monday and Thursday: Upper body (ex. front lever, planche, and bent arm stuff)

Tuesday and Friday: Core, lower body, and H1

Wednesday rest day

Weekend if I feel up to it or have time, perhaps work on some random moves or go to yoga to recover.

Suzanna McGee

I also do H1/H2 the day after F7. Mon and Thu F7, Tue and Fri H1//H2. (other three days are for stretches and my pole)… Sometimes I feel tired in my handstand workout from the foundation the day before. So I switch it next time and do Handstand Thu and Foundation Fri. It just gives it a different feel. :) 

Jeffrey Bittner

Hi Wesley,

Unfortunately your links are not working. Please make sure that your videos are uploaded as 'unlisted videos' and resubmit the links. I'm looking forward to seeing them!

Wesley Manson

Try now.

Wesley Manson

No feedback? 

Jeffrey Bittner

Hi Wesley,

You are looking pretty good. Your hold looks pretty stable, just some small form adjustments to be made.

You hips have a small pike in them. Squeeze your gluts to help you maintain PPT. You are doing a nice job of opening the shoulders. I would like to see you push taller in the shoulders as you hold your handstand. I like to think about pinching my ears between my shoulders.

I cannot tell how far apart your hands are. Please post a front view as well as a side view of your handstand with these corrections. Keep working hard!

Petra Dvorak

I'm not near to where you are, but all i can say if i hold my handstand for a maximum, i cannot "walk away" from the wall anymore, i have to do the side-exit... So i believe you have still a bit of strenght left...

Wesley Manson

Thanks for the responses. This seems to be a mental game as well as building more strength. I began breathing in deep about 10 times before I start each set and that seems to make a little bit of a positive change. I am always trying to make sure I recover enough between handstand days and upper body days, trying to find the right balance. 

My hands are shoulder width apart, but I will try and post another video soon.

Alessandro Mainente

HI Wesley, yes film yourself from the front also.