This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

SLS/PE3 Form Check

Started by Daniel Taylor-Shaut, December 6, 2016 · 15 Replies · 205 Views

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

I marked this exercise today as easy, the reps and iM don't impede me and I don't find them difficult (though I do still get a little crepitus in one of my knees if I force the depth of my squat). If my form is lacking in one way or another on either the PE or the iM please do let me know, because as of now I'm not sure what else there might be that I can see that should hold me back from PE4. Yes, I recognize the forward lean of the torso and the ankle dorsiflexion on the PE, but those things I feel like would get a lot of attention in PE4 and PE5, no? I could be wrong, it has happened before. Anyways, here it is from three angles.

 

 

Jeffrey Bittner

Hi Daniel,

Make sure to stand up completely on each of your reps. Also, as you stand you are picking up some arch in your back. Keep your spine straight. Keep it up!

Everett Carroll

In addition to what Jeffrey spotted, I suggest more depth (butt closer to ground) in the bottom position before advancing.

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Okay. I'll keep working on these. They're really starting to become easy, so perhaps I'll have to grease the groove. Thanks for the insights. I'll check back in once I feel like I have made some more progress. I'll likely have an HBP/PE2 form check for Friday, so at least things are moving along in one way or another. 

Daniel Taylor-Shaut
On 12/7/2016 at 10:45 AM, Everett Carroll said:

In addition to what Jeffrey spotted, I suggest more depth (butt closer to ground) in the bottom position before advancing.

 

Are there any additional exercises I might be able to do on off-days or as a cooldown to help get deeper into my squat? Similarly, to keep myself 'over my heels' and also with my back upright, what specifically mitigates or helps with that? And how could I work on that? Simply doing deep squats?  I feel like that is a bit redundant since I'm already doing them. I'm consistent with working on these but just would like to know if including any other exercises might help expedite my progress. Cheers. @Jeffrey Bittner

Bas Albinus
7 minutes ago, Daniel Taylor-Shaut said:

Simply doing deep squats?  I feel like that is a bit redundant since I'm already doing them.

You could go deeper. If that's still a problem you can try just staying in the bottom position for a while. Assume it as a resting position. like toddlers do playing in a sandbox. Do that whenever you can, several times a day.
I'm not sure about the order of progressions for sls since the f1 update, so forgive me if I'm jumping ahead here, but those twisting squats, side to side squats, inside squats are great to get more ankle, hip, knee movement.
Other things that helped me in the past before starting gst are duck walks, frog jumps, bear crawls, horse walks etc    

Pauline Taube

Great suggestions from Bas. When spending time in the bottom position you may hold on to something in order to keep the back straight.

The Front Split course also have great stretches for hamstring, hip flexors and ankles which are extremely helpful in order to develop a deeper squat :) 

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

I mean I'm doing all the stretch series but progress is slow. I'll add in quadrupedal movements.

Everett Carroll
13 hours ago, Bas Albinus said:

you can try just staying in the bottom position for a while. Assume it as a resting position. like toddlers do playing in a sandbox. Do that whenever you can, several times a day.

Definitely great advice here. I do this as much as possible during the day.

Suzanna McGee

The deep squat sitting in your leisure time is big! I've been also spending more time in that position. I even have a box on which I can put my laptop and rather than sitting on a chair/sofa, I try to squat… I am still not that comfortable to stay there for long time, but maybe with time… Look at this kind of cute fun article of the lady who did a 30-day deep squat experiment: 

https://aboveaverage.com/i-tried-a-squatting-desk-for-a-month-and-heres-what-happened/

 

 

The-Third-World-Squat.jpg?1448398985

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Thanks for the article link, I can't stand Kavadlo's ceaseless smile, though. 

 

Edit: I'm fairly certain the article you linked is satire and not at all serious. I get the idea, though.

Suzanna McGee
1 hour ago, Daniel Taylor-Shaut said:

Thanks for the article link, I can't stand Kavadlo's ceaseless smile, though. 

I guess he is a happy dude :D I was more focused on his nice deep squat, not him… 

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

@Everett Carroll @Pauline Taube @Jeffrey Bittner

 

I focused on keeping my glutes over my heels today when doing legs and, yeah, I get it now. Doing them this way (hinging more at the ankle) forcefully stretches the Achilles and strengthens the tibialis, am I correct? I was predominantly hinging from my knees in my video I believe. I find that doing some duck walks and the roll to the pop-up portion of deck squats serves a good warm up for this movement/area of attention for my squat. So, I'll be working on these and paying attention to it. Notably, when focusing on ankle hinge my torso flops forward a LOT more, so that'll require some more work, too. Independent of this observation, I wanted to know, how did my iM look? Was that good enough, or should I focus on any specifics for the integrated Mobility while I work on increasing the ROM of my ankles and getting more depth in my squat? I look forward to your insights. 

 

Cheers.

Jeffrey Bittner

On the iM make sure that you are keeping the shoulder girdle stable as you move the leg. You are picking up some torsion in the upper thoracic spine. You can see that the shoulders move back and forth as you move your legs. Make sure to keep this stable.

Richard Thomas

Something I've found myself doing and enjoying is a long modified ape walk, at each step i pause then sink into a deep open hipped squat. The overall movement becomes slightly staccato, but feels great.

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Great. Thanks all. Pieces to put into play coming into next week's training.