This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Workout question

Started by Malcolm Watters, December 5, 2016 · 8 Replies · 117 Views

Malcolm Watters

So I'm starting pe2 on everything in foundation 1, I am doing a f7 workout twice a week.  Now I've done a lot of push-ups in my life but today doing 4 sets of 9 elbows in with the mobility stretch in between was really hard.  Im hoping the stretching adds to the difficulty of the excersize because I kinda felt weak today.  Maybe it was an off day or maybe I was just tired.  

 

I guess my question is how much the mobility effects the excersize it follows?  I know they're there for a reason.

 

loving this program.  It's really amazing how it works the body in what seems like just 7 excersizes 

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Malcolm , it depends on how much you are tight in certain body positions. sometime some muscles work hard to work against restrictions, but with the time as you adapt to the IM effort the less muscle you will use to do the IM. it is completely fine.

Jon Douglas
8 hours ago, Malcolm Watters said:

I guess my question is how much the mobility effects the excersize it follows?  I know they're there for a reason.

 

If it is an area that requires fixing and adaptation -- can be quite a lot.

I used to find lat stretches and weighted pike stuff quite exhausting. I often see strong/tight guys struggling and sweating with bridge work too. Once you adapt, it's an afterthought, or a warmup :)

 

Malcolm Watters
3 hours ago, Jon Douglas said:

If it is an area that requires fixing and adaptation -- can be quite a lot.

I used to find lat stretches and weighted pike stuff quite exhausting. I often see strong/tight guys struggling and sweating with bridge work too. Once you adapt, it's an afterthought, or a warmup :)

 

Actually, I had the wrong mobiliy, it's the xeopings that follow the push-ups.  They don't seem super hard but I guess they are working the shoulder pretty hard and really it's like you don't get a break in the push-ups.  You do a set then mobility but never really stop working.  I just felt like 4 sets of 9 push-ups should be easy and was looking for someone to give me an excuse why it wasn't 

Michael Tolles

A reason that it is harder is that you are probaly doing a pushup with a different form that you are used to, also you are doing them at a slower rate and doing full range of motion. Most people me included are used to doing pushups fast and usually not going full range of motion. They also do pushups with wider arms which also makes them alittle easier. Think back when you used to reps on any exercise then slow them down and make sure you are going full range of motion and I think you will find they will be more diffecult. Alot of other programs also give you more time between sets. This is just the way I see it and have experienced it. 

Michael

Alessandro Mainente

The Michael's point it is correct. usually people who can do 30-40 push up with not-GST for struggle with 15 push up of GST form, the body must first adapt to the new pattern then energetic system will follow the adaptations.

Malcolm Watters

Thanks to both of you, I hadn't really thought of the fact it's a slower pace and the different form I'm sure is adding difficulty.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, harder=better imo.  I'm just gonna add some extra push-ups the rest of my week

Greg White

HI Malcolm.

I wouldn't add more push ups until you've submitted a form check. If you're not doing them to the standard required then you'll just be doing more incorrect push ups which will be harder to unlearn and wasting time. A general rule is to improve movement quality before adding quantity. I know this from experience. I spent a while doing the push ups before submitting a form check and then realised i wasnt doing GST push ups at all. 

Malcolm Watters
3 minutes ago, Greg White said:

HI Malcolm.

I wouldn't add more push ups until you've submitted a form check. If you're not doing them to the standard required then you'll just be doing more incorrect push ups which will be harder to unlearn and wasting time. A general rule is to improve movement quality before adding quantity. I know this from experience. I spent a while doing the push ups before submitting a form check and then realised i wasnt doing GST push ups at all. 

Good point, I feel like I'm doing them with proper form, they're just harder than I thought.  I was just gonna add a few sets in my off days.