My insight on Nakayama Cross

Started by Wangtang6911, January 21, 2010 · 14 Replies · 3,818 Views

Wangtang6911

I know that everyone feels differently about skills, but I wanted to throw this out there for anyone who is training a Nakayama.

So the past couple of weeks, I went back to training this skill. I took a long break because my shoulder got messed up. This skill will definitely grind your shoulders at first so make sure you are warmed up and stretched before training it.

Best tips I can give are to try and hold the false grip even when you are in back lever position. My biggest problem is that my hand would slip when I tried bouncing from back lever. Also, I squeeze my arms into my lats to get the bounce. Once you bounce, think more about driving your feet under and not about bringing your shoulders up. It's a weird feeling, but when I first started doing this skill, I would think about just bringing my whole body above the rings and that made it really hard. Some people will tell you to keep your feet high, but for me, it was easier to just think about getting my feet down as quick as possible!

Coach, you got any other tips or drills on this skill? The only drills I did were spotted Nakayama's and I don't think they helped me to understand the bounce that well. That was more something I had to figure out the more I did it. Those drills will make you stronger in that movement though!!

Alright,

Good luck out there!!

Gregor

I could suggest you to not legse arched in back when you re rising (then legs are falling behind).

If you will go to slowely to back lever, you won't have good bounce.

The best exercises is spotted nakayama.

I think you've already discoverd everything you need for nakayama.

Wangtang6911
Gregor said:
I could suggest you to not legse arched in back when you re rising (then legs are falling behind).

If you will go to slowely to back lever, you won't have good bounce.

The best exercises is spotted nakayama.

I think you've already discoverd everything you need for nakayama.

Thats interesting. So go faster into back lever? Every time I have tried that in the past, I lose the tension in my shoulders and lats and just kind of dangle there.

As far as getting my shoulders far enough above the rings, how should I go about developing this? I can get into a level cross, but there is no way I would be able to pull out of it with my shoulder positioned the way it currently is!?

Sorry, I would post a video, but I lost my backpack and camera about a month ago!

Thanks for the help!!!

Ted

Gregor

At the begining it helped me if I went faster, I didn't burn to much energy. Faster but not losing muscle tension, do no't relax.

You can get in cross heigth, but you can not pull out? you mean to press to support? If you mean that, that's normal when you achieve new harder skill. The main reason is lower energy in strength due to previous nakayama (it will come with more practice).

Or do you mean something else?

John Sapinoso

Oh i'm interested in any drills for this too,

I've been known to set up contraptions that are sometimes more complicated than helpful and this was one of those failed devices. I got a bungee cast hand stand trainer that I had made and set it underneath and slightly in front of the rings about waist height and after the cross i'd try to bounce my chest off of it and go back to a cross it um. . .almost worked. Maybe I was just not strong enough at the time, or maybe it was a flawed concept, either way it was really entertaining for others to watch. :lol:

deljosque

i think nakayama messes up shoulders bigtime, ik don't like te element

Gregor
deljosque said:
i think nakayama messes up shoulders bigtime, ik don't like te element

NOT TRUE AT ALL!!! So if nakayama messes your shoulders, then azarian messes to and pineda, buterfly cross amm all croses...

It messes your shoulders if your shoulders are not strong and to quickly proceed on nakayama training.

I don't have any problems with shoulders because of nakayama and I'm doing alot of nakayamas also with added weights.

Seiji

lol I always thought a Nakayama was the handstand cross thing. Like the one in your picture, Gregor.

Gregor
Seiji said:
lol I always thought a Nakayama was the handstand cross thing. Like the one in your picture, Gregor.

even my picture is not cross (inverted cross), because it's a snapshot (moving picture) of a giant swing :mrgreen:

Seiji

Oh, you cheat, you!

lol :wink:

Gregor
Seiji said:
Oh, you cheat, you!

lol :wink:

haha If you were a gymnast you would know at the first sight :mrgreen: For inverted cross I am to low, and look my body position, my arms are backwards, body forwards,...

Wangtang6911

Just a quick update. I did some of the best nakayama's I have ever done today! I have been sick for the last couple of weeks and haven't done too much strength and had short practices, but today, I figured I would just jump up there and see where my strength has gone!!

I lowered into cross and that felt fine, pulled to maltese and that felt pretty light as well! So when I lowered into the back lever, I decided to just hold the back lever and did a 2 count and just rose right up into a cross! Still not high enough to pull out of, but my shoulders are definitely at ring height!

I called a coach over to look at it and he was pretty impressed. He said that I had no bounce and that I just lifted myself from a back lever into a cross!

I also did a few Azarian crosses after that, but that didn't go so well. I basically did an azarian into the crosses the crosses that I ended with when I first started learning the nakayama's. So, hopefully I will be able to get the azarian soon also!!

Hope everyone elses training is going well!!

Razz

Congratulations that is a huge step! :D One day ill be doing D skills aswell :lol:

Gregor

Congratulations!!!

Sometimes a litlle rest can help big time.

For azarian do the same as nakayam :arrow: just wait to back lever and do the same as you did in nakayama.

sasquatch

That's awesome, wang! If you ever get another camera it would be cool to see it.