This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

MN/SE2

Started by Christopher Denzer, December 5, 2016 · 8 Replies · 180 Views

Christopher Denzer

Just started on the 1/2 L-sits and find my quads start cramping near the last set. Is this normal? Am I using the wrong muscles somewhere?

Kai Ewert

Not necessarily, but also make sure to focus on depression and retraction of the shoulder blades. See some of the form check posts on these and Alessandro Mainente's replies in particular.

Suzanna McGee

If the quads are weak, very possible :) They get stronger with time. 

Jon Douglas
7 hours ago, Kai Ewert said:

Not necessarily, but also make sure to focus on depression and retraction of the shoulder blades. See some of the form check posts on these and Alessandro Mainente's replies in particular.

Normal, but I second this to ensure you getting the most out of this exercise and laying the groundwork for manna :)

Can be either weakness (quads, hip flexors potentially) or stiffness (much less likely as this is only bent knees and you've already done full HLL). Variants of standing leg raises may help, as well as static 1/2 or full L-holds on rings, bars or stall bars (#1 choice).

But just continuing on with logging volume on the 1/2 Lsits should be plenty to improve it. The coming L-sit-based elements will highlight weaknesses if they are there :)

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Christopher, please can you post the last HLL variation (i mean from L to V)?

I'm asking that because the goal of the bent L-sit actually it is not to strengthen the hips flexors but the retractor which is a natural consequence of the open chest, if you want a specific zone where to feel cramps here? triceps.

Christopher Denzer

Hi all:

 

Thanks for chiming in. To be more specific, I am actually on the 1/2 L-sit leg extension, which is what is giving me the cramping. Also, it is the muscles on the top front of my thigh, which I am calling the quads but you guys know more than me. I've been repeating Step One of this exercise for some time now and I'm not seeing a whole lot of change. Maybe my quads are weak? But my backsquat is pretty decent and I have been single leg squatting pretty easily for years...

Alessandro Mainente

rectus femoris which has 2 function:

-extend the knee

-flex the hip

so it is double involved when you lift the legs straight!

Kai Ewert

I think a form check for the last HLL version as Alessandro suggested as well as of MN/SE1 would be very helpful for the coaches to give you better pointers

 

Christopher Denzer

Some day. I train in the pitch dark at 5am so as not to wake my 5yo daughter sleeping in the room! Til then, I'll see if repeating the previous exercise cycle helps.