This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

SLS/PE2+iM

Started by Guido Franchetti, December 5, 2016 · 14 Replies · 182 Views

Guido Franchetti

My squat is pretty pathetic, any advice? Thanks in advance.

 

 

 

Bas Albinus

You could try stay more upright. It looks a little like you start the movement by leaning forward. Try to start by loading your hamstrings(engage posterior chain and abs) and  then sit your butt down, leaning little and late. Looking at the horizon instead of down might help.

It s good to stand up straight, shoulders back, chest up and  push the hips forward squeezing the glutes at the top of the movement.

Try to keep your knees in line with your feet. For starters a slightly wider stance might help.  

Just my 2cent. Hope it can give you some  ideas.

 

Guido Franchetti

Thanks Bas!

I am definitely leaning forward quite a bit, but that is to keep balance... however, I may be able to improve on it at least at the beginning of the squat, good point. I was trying to follow the cue, read somewhere, to start the squat by bending at the hips, and shifting the weight backwards, rather than bending at the knees.

Where should I keep the weight on the feet? I know it should not be on the front of the foot, but should I am to keeping the weight on the heel, or on the centre of the foot?

Bas Albinus

Centered, solid stance. Trying to touch as much surface as possible w the sole of your feet. Growing roots. As if to  balance yourself from slipping n sliding on a boat. 

Guido Franchetti

Thanks!

Everett Carroll
16 hours ago, Bas Albinus said:

Try to keep your knees in line with your feet. For starters a slightly wider stance might help.  

Exactly my advice as well. Bas is on the money. It takes dedication and time to develop a deeper squat but a couple things that will safely speed the process up are:

1) The FS and MS stretch courses. 

2) Spend time in the bottom position of PE3 (the full squat) throughout the day. Like Bas said, keep your knees tracking over your feet and work to remain upright in that position as well. Start with only a short amount of time-keep it relatively comfortable, just like the stretch courses-and gradually build to more time. This will give you a nice headstart on PE3 too. Try to do this 4 or 5 times per day. 

Your iM looks good as you aren't rotating to much at the pelvis. Just keep at it and ROM will improve. 

Guido Franchetti

Thanks @Everett Carroll. I am doing FS and MS once a week, I will follow your advice at point 2.
I quickly tried some reps after Bas posts and noticed that I can keep the torso slightly more upright: I was compensating bending at the hip even more than necessary for balance as that gave me the (wrong) impression of going lower.

In what sense my knees aren't tracking over the feet? I am sure that they never go past the toes of the feet, actually they are relatively far from it. It seems to me they point in the same direction as the feet - or are they a bit on the outside?

Bas Albinus

yes, way to much outside. Look at your front view video. You ll see your knees start pointing left/right the deeper you go. Keep them pointing to the front and in line with your feet. If you need to take a wider stance to do so that's ok for starters. 
Another thing that might help getting the movement/balance etc right, is to envision actively pulling yourself towards the ground.

Guido Franchetti

Are the knees fine now (different angles are shown in the video)? What is the reason why they wobble a bit sometimes, and how do I correct that?

Thanks for the feedback!

 

 

 

Bas Albinus

Nice improvement on the knee-foot position! Your knees stay above your feet know and point to the front  
Don't worry about the wobble too much. Those small stabilising muscles around the joint will catch up and get stronger over time which will reduce wobbling and increase stability+balance. You can challenge yourself once in a while by performing squats etc on a soft surface like a folded yogamatt. 
Try to stay more upright with anterior pt at the top of the movement (think "chest up n out"). Holding a small weight out in front of you will help with it. This will engage your glutes+hamstrings more throughout the motion. Keep at it! 

Tanya Hill

Great advice Bas. 

Bas Albinus

Thanks Tanya! Happy to share the little that I understood, while trying to learn more of what I don't know and and esp can't DO (yet;). In that regard I think feeling is understanding. 

Guido Franchetti

Hi Bas, thanks a lot for the feedback!

Guido Franchetti

How is this coming along? Would it make sense to move to PE3 (where I will be stuck for veeery long I imagine)

 

Everett Carroll

All clear, Guido.