This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

sPL/PE3 and iM

Started by Guido Franchetti, December 5, 2016 · 18 Replies · 245 Views

Guido Franchetti

First go at this one, any feedback? Thanks!

 

 

Mikey Cunanan

Hi Guido,

Great progress so far! If you don't mind my help:

For the pe- protraction looks good but you could use a little more ppt. This will help you better engage the lower abs, which will help you in later progressions.  

For the iM- aim to bring the legs to hip level,  locking the knees at the top of each rep.Pause for a second then lower back to starting position.  Also your left leg seems to be lower. Maybe go back to previous im and address imbalance in the hips. 

If any of the coaches chime in and tell you otherwise listen to them ;)

 

Jon Douglas

Hi Guido,

Mikey is spot on. Good work but some detail to iron out before it turns into habits :)

More PPT in the plank :) you'll need to get that arch out to benefit from the planche lean work coming; an arch will a) look ugly and b) not correctly strengthen the muscles required.

Slower, smoother reps on the im, locked knees, and symmetry. That left leg is substantially and consistently lower than the right. If you can't fix this by just being aware of it, it would be best to step back to PE2 / im until it evens out.

Guido Franchetti

Thanks Mikey and Jon!

I'll work on PPT on the PE then. For the iM a bit of the asymmetry is due to the camera angle, but the left leg is definitely lower. It was my first attempt so I'll see if I can correct and make it smoother by paying attention, and otherwise step back.

im.jpg

 

Suzanna McGee

Maybe the camera angle a little bit, but if you compare your legs and arms, the space in between on the right side is soooooo much smaller than on the left. Also the left knee is bent and right is not. Plus the external rotation of both legs is different too.  It is kind of fun work for you now: to correct all the little things and create a masterpiece :) 

Guido Franchetti

Haha good points Suzanna, and nice mental way of approaching the corrections, thanks! I will see what I can do
(as my left side got a knee and hip fracture, some of the asymmetry surely comes from that, even when seated at rest with straight legs my left leg is more externally rotated than the right one).

Guido Franchetti

Is ppt better?

For the iM I have noticed that with a mirror I can get both legs to the same height, but without I easily and up with asymmetric reps (probably not a problem of strength mobility but awareness as trying to correct the lower left leg I now often keep it higher). Any advice? The right height would be with the hips completely open, right?

Jeffrey Bittner

Hi Guido,

Your PPT looks good during this set. You are also too hollowed on this exercise. Keep working on flattening the middle of your back during your hold.

On the iM your hips should be completely open. If doing this exercise in front of a mirror helps you to have better form, then by all means feel free to keep training in front of a mirror.

Guido Franchetti

How is this progressing? Would it be fine to move to PE4?

 

 

 

Jeffrey Bittner

Hi Guido,

Your iM looks much better. Nice work. On your PE you are doing a better job of hitting protraction. At the beginning of your set your form looks good, however, as you get tired you lose almost all of your protraction. You can see a clear difference in position by starting the video from the beginning then immediately playing it towards the end of the video. I recommend taking a few steps back and focusing on hitting perfect form. Once your form is dialed in, increasing the duration of your hold will be much easier.

Guido Franchetti

Thanks Jeffrey, I'll do as you recommend!

Guido Franchetti

So, I've step back to step 4. This is my last (4th) set. Am I maintaining protraction enough thorough the set?

 

Alessandro Mainente

Remember to strongly depress the scapulae, this will leads to a natural reduction of the rounded back so do not worry about that.

Guido Franchetti

How is this coming along? These are the last three sets of five, but I am not sure I maintaining protraction strongly enough - as I adjust my position a bit during the sets I find it hard to tell.

 

Alessandro Mainente

Hey Guido, nice work on the PE. for the IM sometime feet are not at the same level. try to be as much symmetrical as possible.

Guido Franchetti

Grazie Alessandro! The soft mat may have interfered with the iM, I'll film it again on a harder surface. 

Guido Franchetti

Here is another take of the iM, does it look like I can move to PE4?

 

Leo Trinidad

Hi @Guido Franchetti,

Huge improvement. It is solid and you can move on to PE4. Just add this to your warmup.

Guido Franchetti
52 minutes ago, Leo Trinidad said:

Hi @Guido Franchetti,

Huge improvement. It is solid and you can move on to PE4. Just add this to your warmup.

Will do, thanks!