This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Using Coach’s Recommended Programming?

Started by Joseph Baglieri, December 5, 2016 · 9 Replies · 424 Views

Joseph Baglieri

I’ve been following GB for the past year-and-a-half. I started with F1/H1 and, depending on the exercise, have transitioned into F2. For the duration of my training I’ve been using the 4 day a week template hitting Core, Lower Body, Upper Body, and Handstand, twice per week (I’ve also recently started the Front Split stretch).

After the most recent update I checked Use Coach Sommer’s Recommended Schedule and it seems like it’s cut my workload in half (only 1 day per week for each element). I’m a bit confused and am helping someone can shed some light on how I should continue.

Thanks,
Joseph

Pauline Taube

The suggested workout are for beginners. It's recommended to add in the Stretch and Press Handstand courses before adding extra Foundation workouts to your week. Once you have been consistently training those courses, you can consider adding in more volume. 

If you don't own those courses and are not able to start atm, you can keep your current schedule :) 

Jon Douglas

If you're working in Foundation 2, you should be fine with this :)

Josh Shaw

So Coach's recommendation is to do everything once per week?  I had been doing F7 M/W/F and H1/Stretch Tu/Th/Sa, but the schedule got too demanding (more on time than recovery).  When the update came through, I dropped it to Core/HS M/Th, Upper/Lower Tu/F, and Stretch W/Sa/Su.  I had never actually set my schedule since the latest update came through, so I never noticed the Coach's recommended schedule until I saw this thread. 

 

I actually came in here for a separate, but somewhat related question.  I'm only on F2 for SLS, the rest I'm still on F1.  With my two day per week schedule, I typically mark each exercise with the "fine" smiley the first time I do it for the week, then mark it with the "easy" smiley the second time, assuming I am ready to move to the next step.  With the recent update to logging sets/reps on F2, it automatically bumps me up each workout if I log all of the sets/reps.  This goes against the slow and steady approach that is constantly preached.  The way I see it, I have three options.  I can 1) lower the frequency to 1x/week, 2) continue with the 2x/week schedule and progress 2 steps per week, or 3) take measures to limit the progression to 1 step per week, either by manually adjusting the settings or by just logging 1 rep short of completion every other workout.  I always thought Coach's recommendation was 2-3/week.  I can see maybe once you get to the more advanced progressions in F3/F4, it might be harder to recover from doing each thing more than once per week, but I would think that F1/F2 would be better served by more frequency for more practice.

Rayne-William Fitzgerald
On 12/13/2016 at 2:41 PM, Josh Shaw said:

I actually came in here for a separate, but somewhat related question. 

I'm only on F2 for SLS, the rest I'm still on F1. 

With my two day per week schedule, I typically mark each exercise with the "fine" smiley the first time I do it for the week, then mark it with the "easy" smiley the second time, assuming I am ready to move to the next step. 

With the recent update to logging sets/reps on F2, it automatically bumps me up each workout if I log all of the sets/reps.  This goes against the slow and steady approach that is constantly preached. 

The way I see it, I have three options:  I can 1) lower the frequency to 1x/week, 2) continue with the 2x/week schedule and progress 2 steps per week, or 3) take measures to limit the progression to 1 step per week, either by manually adjusting the settings or by just logging 1 rep short of completion every other workout. 

I always thought Coach's recommendation was 2-3/week.  I can see maybe once you get to the more advanced progressions in F3/F4, it might be harder to recover from doing each thing more than once per week, but I would think that F1/F2 would be better served by more frequency for more practice.

In reply to the italized text in the quote above.

When you start logging sets and repetitions and you want to stay on a particular step, for whatever reason... let the automated computer program know that you "missed" one repetition even if you honestly completed all of the required repetitions. 

 

Pauline Taube

Hi Josh,

If you can perform an exercise and the integrated mobility for the required reps with good form, you can let the programmer move you to the next progression. I suggest you send in a video review when you test for mastery. No need to spend 2-3 weeks if the element is too easy for you. However if you're struggeling with the exercise and need to work on your form, only log the number of reps you can perform with GOOD form :) 

Joseph Baglieri
On 12/5/2016 at 2:29 AM, Jon Douglas said:

If you're working in Foundation 2, you should be fine with this :)

Hi Jon,

To clarify, if I'm working in Foundation 2 I should be fine with Coach's Recommended Programming (doing Core, LB, UB, HS, 1x / week), or I should be fine continuing with doing Core, Lower Body, Upper Body, and Handstand, twice per week as I had been before the system updates?

Thanks,

Joseph

Jon Douglas
1 hour ago, Joseph Baglieri said:

Hi Jon,

To clarify, if I'm working in Foundation 2 I should be fine with Coach's Recommended Programming (doing Core, LB, UB, HS, 1x / week), or I should be fine continuing with doing Core, Lower Body, Upper Body, and Handstand, twice per week as I had been before the system updates?

Thanks,

Joseph

The higher volume option. As the movements become more complex it will be more productive to have at least two sessions per week on a movement too, in order to cement the mechanics of a given element

Joseph Baglieri

Thank you!

Leo Trinidad

I completely agree with Jon. Higher volume in the earlier progressions is very productive and will help you once you get to the advanced progressions.