This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Progression to F2

Started by Gareth Jenkins, December 2, 2016 · 8 Replies · 333 Views

Gareth Jenkins

Hi, what do people recommend with regard progression from F1 to F2, should you master all the F1 elements (thus repeating mastery for some for a number of weeks) before starting F2 for all elements or is it fine to be on F2 for some elements and F1 for others?

 

Thanks

Pauline Taube

Hi Gareth :)

It's fine starting some of the progressions in F2 while you still remain on some of the last progressions in F1. 

Coach Sommer

Hello Gareth,

No, do not repeat weeks of mastery while waiting for other elements to catch up.

The system is designed to be smooth and seamless.  When you finish all of the F1 PEs for a particular movement, immediately begin the F2 PEs for that movement.  Then the F3s.  Then the F4s.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Maksis Riley

I am interested, is there ever a gap between certain elements that you would consider too great and "dangerous" coach? Or do you think the body wouldn't allow such a disparity to develop?

Everett Carroll

Hey Maksis,

As long as you are training all of the movements consistently, it's highly unlikely that an unhealthy imbalance will be created. Of course, it is important to put some extra time into your weakest areas. I have always done extra work before and after workouts which has helped catch my deficient areas up and likely prevented plateaus. Of course, I've had plenty of learning curves and plateaus but acting on the idea that the movements are all integrated has no doubt helped with progress. HBP is notoriously difficult for students from the very beginning and if they don't put enough energy into improving it, then sPL suffers big by F2. If sPL suffers, press handstands are then affected, and so on. I'd say that because of this, the curriculum is self regulating. 

Suzanna McGee
3 hours ago, Everett Carroll said:

HBP is notoriously difficult for students from the very beginning and if they don't put enough energy into improving it, then sPL suffers big by F2. If sPL suffers, press handstands are then affected, and so on.

@Everett Carroll, I am one of those who are "stuck" on HBP/RC PE2, while all the other elements are PE6 or higher… I do F7 twice a week, H1/H2 twice a week, and each stretch once a week. Would it behove my progress in the "notoriously difficult" if I added a few sets here and there spread through the week, besides the F1 days? 

Maksis Riley

Thanks for the reply Everett, I'll be adding extra rope climb work over the coming weeks and months :icon_twisted:

 

Much appreciated for the help!

 

Everett Carroll
18 hours ago, Suzanna McGee said:

Would it behove my progress in the "notoriously difficult" if I added a few sets here and there spread through the week, besides the F1 days?

Not at all! Start by adding additional work in slowly, just like everything else, and carefully monitor your recovery. 

Leo Trinidad

I would also like to add that as you progress to the more advanced elements the more you need to stretch and mobilize. It is best to incorporate Stretch Series as early as Foundation One to develop a healthy habit of training.