This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Newbie Swivel Hip Question

Started by Ted Rarrick, December 2, 2016 · 13 Replies · 334 Views

Ted Rarrick

Do I need to have my knees touch the ground before progressing to step 2 of SPL PE1? This is my first week of F1 ( along with stretch programs ) I would like to make progress on the scap shrugs but not certain if I should click the button "failed mobility" until I touch the floor with my knees. I'm thinking it may take a while to reach this level of flexibility.

I read a lot of posts on how to increase flexibility but couldn't quite find the answer to this. Thanks for any tips you can give me.

Pauline Taube

Hi Ted,

Welcome to GymnasticBodies :) 

Good question. You're not the only one having trouble with this exercises. For the swivel hips your knees should touch the floor. If you are unsure I suggest you submit a form check. 

Are you following the Stretch courses? These will definitely help, especially the Middle Split series. 

Feel free to have a look at the link below. Lots of tips here ;) 

 

Ted Rarrick

Thanks Pauline. Yes, I'm also starting the stretch series as well so that should help. I just wasn't sure if I was supposed to keep checking  the "failed mobility" button until I touch the floor. I'll get there eventually :)

Michael Tolles

Ted

I have moved through the SPL steps to increase PE exercise because the swivle hips goes through 9 steps. When I started my knees were about a foot off the ground now I can touch the ground and my butt comes about an inch off the ground, and then I push down to increase the stretch. I do the stretch courses which have helped imensly still have along way to go. I will hold on step 9 for awhile too get swivle hips bettor and to improve my incline rows which actually are in between incline and ground rows. Scapular shrugs and incline push ups are fairly easy so I have increased the negative time on my reps to increase dificulty and work on form. Also on incline push ups I have dropped down about a foot and a half to also increase work.

Michael

Ted Rarrick

Michael - great advice, thanks for the input and I'll try those techniques. What I really enjoy about this GST program is everyone is so willing to help out and the program is so adaptable to every skill level.

For other newbies wondering about which button to push after a workout like mine, the "failed mobility" button appears to take you to the next level for the strength portion and increase the reps for the mobility exercise. Hope that helps.

Mark Malmstrom

Ted - I agree completely. The community here is something unique.

I've also seen immense improvement in Swivel Hips after consistency with the Middle Splits stretch series. It's actually turned into one of my favorite mobility pieces! I've also found that thoroughly warming up the knees with some mobility from the SLS progressions has helped prepare me for deep Swivel Hip stretching. 

Hope that helps and welcome to the community!

Jeffrey Bittner

Great idea also warming up the knees Mark!

Everett Carroll
2 hours ago, Mark Malmstrom said:

 

I've also seen immense improvement in Swivel Hips after consistency with the Middle Splits stretch series.

I second this! Swivel hips were my worst enemy (sometimes still are, depending on how much hiking I've done) but the MS series worked wonders.  

Ted Rarrick
7 hours ago, Mark Malmstrom said:

I've also seen immense improvement in Swivel Hips after consistency with the Middle Splits stretch series. It's actually turned into one of my favorite mobility pieces!

 

Mark - I did my first session of Middle Splits this week. What an eye opener on how jammed up up my joints and muscles have become! I am so thankful for the videos that show me how to scale these or else I would have been completely overwhelmed. At least I have lots of room for improvement!

Henning Blom 243536

Yes, I've also seen great improvements for my Swivel Hips lot thanks to Middle Split probably only in just two weeks. I was about 15 cm off the ground on both knees and now I can touch the ground with my butt barely lifting at all :) I just started to use swivel hips as an everyday warm-up exercise :) 

Ted Rarrick
46 minutes ago, Henning Blom 243536 said:

Yes, I've also seen great improvements for my Swivel Hips lot thanks to Middle Split probably only in just two weeks. I was about 15 cm off the ground on both knees and now I can touch the ground with my butt barely lifting at all :) I just started to use swivel hips as an everyday warm-up exercise :) 

Henning Blom 243536 - that's encouraging about your progress. Sounds like Middle Splits are going to be what moves me along in this area. Great tip about doing swivel hips as an everyday warm-up. thanks.

Si Hoang

Hi Ted, the middle split series will definitely help on those darn swivel hips. It's definitely helped massively as my internal rotation was terrible when I started. I also have it in my daily limber and warm ups at a lower intensity and that keeps the movement well oiled so that I don't lose any rom in between Foundation training days. Good luck with dezombifying yourself!

Leo Trinidad

warmup definitely helps. in my experience, both front split and middle split helped me a lot to improved my range of motion for the swivel hips.

Ted Rarrick
On 12/3/2016 at 2:30 PM, Si Hoang said:

Hi Ted, the middle split series will definitely help on those darn swivel hips...........Good luck with dezombifying yourself!

Thanks Si Hoang - middles splits seems to be the consensus here. "Dezombifying" -  haha that is funny as that term fits me perfectly for what I'm going through!

9 hours ago, Leo Trinidad said:

warmup definitely helps. in my experience, both front split and middle split helped me a lot to improved my range of motion for the swivel hips.

Thanks Leo - I can see that warmup is going to have to be an important part of my journey with this.