Scapular position (planche)

Started by Federico Trotta, November 30, 2016 · 5 Replies · 4,466 Views

Federico Trotta

I have seen several videos on the internet of athletes doing planche. Many of these athletes had shoulders protracted but some shrugged and some pushed down.

What consequences can create an incorrect position of the shoulder blades?

What's the right position for planche?

In many videos on physiotherapy experts say that the shoulders should rotate upward in over-head movements, but not lift. Experts say that's only possible with the aid of upper and lower trapezious and serratus anterior, while keeping the levator scapula relaxed.

How can I train to get to the proper rotation control and keep the levator scapula inhibited?

In the transition from planche to handstand how shoulder blades should move?

Sometimes I do pushups on the rings and sometimes with hands fixed on the ground. When I do pushups on the ring while lowering the body I can hear a click coming from my left shoulder, this doesn't happen when my hands are fixed on the ground. Also on the day after rings pushups I can feel a sort of pain due to weakness. I can also bench press my own bodyweight without issue...

Is this related to a weak scapular stabilization?

How can I fix that?

Alessandro Mainente

HI Federico, I think that the answer you are searching for it was made by in one older post.

this is the link.

 

Coach Sommer

Hello Federico,

All of the basics for developing proper scapular mobility and function are addressed in the Foundation courses.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Federico Trotta
24 minutes ago, Coach Sommer said:

Hello Federico,

All of the basics for developing proper scapular mobility and function are addressed in the Foundation courses.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

I read your book "Building the Gymnastic Body" yeas ago, it was clear enough but I couldn't understand deeply because English is not my main language. All my questions can be summerized as follows: why should I trust the advice of keeping shoulder blades protracted and depressed while doing planche? I mean what's right biomechanically speaking.

Mikkel Ravn

Protracted scapulae will allow you to stay in a hollow body position, which maximises the strength of the back. Depressed scaps shortens the lever.

Federico Trotta
7 hours ago, Mikkel Ravn said:

Protracted scapulae will allow you to stay in a hollow body position, which maximises the strength of the back. Depressed scaps shortens the lever.

"strength of the back" what do you mean? I thought that the increase in strength was due to the fact that the humerus is more stable inside the glenoid fossa in that particoular position... Isn't it? What happens exactly inside the shoulder when in this position?