This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

My heels are like magnets, except the opposite

Started by Josh Martin, November 30, 2016 · 5 Replies · 237 Views

Josh Martin

I'm trying to do the first stretch in the Front Split series and its where your ankles are on blocks, and my ankles are repelling each other.  For the life of me, I can't seem to get them together.  Every time I do get them together, I try to stretch the top of my ankle, and the ankles just pop right apart.  

How do I fix that?

Thank you.

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Technically, magnets are still magnets even if they repel. Physics aside, use a belt or yoga strap and decrease the ROM. 

Josh Martin
35 minutes ago, Daniel Taylor-Shaut said:

Technically, I'm pretty certain that magnets are still magnets even if they repel. Physics aside, use a belt or yoga strap and decrease the ROM. 

I've never heard of a yoga strap, that looks like it will help me defy physics.  Thank you Daniel.

Everett Carroll
2 hours ago, Daniel Taylor-Shaut said:

and decrease the ROM. 

Lean forward as much as you need to for now, Josh, in order to get them together. Many beginner students need to put their hands on the floor in order to feel comfortable enough to get their ankles/heels together. Don't push it too hard in each session; this position will get much more comfortable with time. Please also feel free to post pictures from the back and side so we can make sure you are in the proper position. 

John Mitchell 212472

Is it more important to have your heels together than your back straight please? With my heels touching together I'm leaning quite far forwards.

Alessandro Mainente

Absolutely yes.