This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Incline Pushup modification

Started by Ryan Segervall, November 29, 2016 · 10 Replies · 313 Views

Ryan Segervall

 Hello all, 

 This may be a bit of a silly question but I thought it would run it by the forum anyways.

 Would be okay to do incline push-ups using rings instead of pushing against a bar, such as a Smith machine or box.  This would help me work around lacking pronation mobility in my wrist/forearm.  currently I have roughly 45 to 50° of active pronation in both of my wrists, and pushing against a bar that requires 90° of pronation, puts extra strain on my elbows ( doesn't really feel good). 

Thoughts on this modification? Also any tips of how to go about tackling this mobility deficit? 

Bas Albinus

Not a coach just curious, as I'm not sure I understand right. If it's a problem with pronation it should not exist if you are doing push ups on your fists (wrists facing each other), right?! You have problems turning your wrists so they face your feet while you keep your elbows tucked to your sides?
What exactly is the problem? Where does it hurt? Do you have  a history of related injury?
If it's the elbows I think it's rather due to lack of shoulder extension and/or lack of strength in your triceps.
If it's wrist flexion a few wrist stretches/strength exercises from H1 might help. 

I think, doing most things on rings will make the exercise harder than on a bar or flat surface. 

wrist-supination-neutral-pronation.jpg

image027.gif

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Ryan actually the only solution for you can be a couple of pbars at about one meter height. I prefer to not introduce rings at this stage.

Ryan Segervall
15 hours ago, Bas Albinus said:

Not a coach just curious, as I'm not sure I understand right. If it's a problem with pronation it should not exist if you are doing push ups on your fists (wrists facing each other), right?! You have problems turning your wrists so they face your feet while you keep your elbows tucked to your sides?
What exactly is the problem? Where does it hurt? Do you have  a history of related injury?
If it's the elbows I think it's rather due to lack of shoulder extension and/or lack of strength in your triceps.
If it's wrist flexion a few wrist stretches/strength exercises from H1 might help. 

I think, doing most things on rings will make the exercise harder than on a bar or flat surface. 

 

 yes recovering from a case of tendinitis in the medial epicondyle of both  elbows.   most of this was resolved today, I went back in  And lightened the load a bit and focus and didnt go as deep into the pushup (  bottom of chest remained about 2 to 3 inches off the bar at the bottom position). Was able to get  through the sets comfortably, without any pain or strain being placed upon my elbow.  Currently at  the stage right now where things are just going to generally be sore, stiff, and somewhat achy as I transition back into training. I've been out of training for the past four months.

- to try and to further elaborate upon my issue I was having... when at my and ranges of elbow flexion, I cannot  maintain  90° of pronation in my wrist. (  flex elbow, to Pronate wrist until palm of your hand is facing directly away from torso. I currently have about 60° pronation from neutral in this position.)  Thusly when I am at the bottom of a push-up, and dont have access to the 90° pronation in wrist ( in order to maintain grip upon horizontal bar),  my shoulders compensate, causing my elbows to flare out away from my lats.  Staying within 15-30°  abduction. 

 

 

 

IMG_9516.PNG

IMG_9517.PNG

Ryan Segervall
13 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

Hi Ryan actually the only solution for you can be a couple of pbars at about one meter height. I prefer to not introduce rings at this stage.

Should I only train within the range of motion where my elbows are able to stay tucked to my sides? Or would you recommend I look for alternative platforms to push off  of that would enable me to remain in a neutral or slightly less pronated wrist position whilst going deeper into the pushup? 

Alessandro Mainente

HI Ryan well, push up variations are meant to be a basic movement for future more demanding exercise. for this reason the elbows must be to the side.

I can suggest you to use the pbars if possible or exceptionally a pair of rings where you use an elastic bands in between the rings so that they can be fixed together. this will take off the effort necessary for instability.

Coach Sommer

Hello Ryan,

I am going to disagree a bit with Alex here.  

At this point in your training I am not overly concerned about your elbow position.  The primary focus should be on good scapular function and sufficient depth of movement.

Yes, it is true that later on your elbows will be narrower on HSPU, however the free balancing nature of free HSPU will correct any erroneous elbow position automatically when you reach that point in your training.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Ryan Segervall
3 minutes ago, Coach Sommer said:

Hello Ryan,

I am going to disagree a bit with Alex here.  

At this point in your training I am not overly concerned about your elbow position.  The primary focus should be on good scapular function and sufficient depth of movement.

Yes, it is true that later on your elbows will be narrower on HSPU, however the free balancing nature of free HSPU will correct any erroneous elbow position automatically when you reach that point in your training.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Thank you for clearing this up coach :) 

Bas Albinus
3 hours ago, Ryan Segervall said:

 yes recovering from a case of tendinitis in the medial epicondyle of both  elbows.   most of this was resolved today,

 

Sounds like a real bummer! Glad to hear you are better and back to training making progress.

Mark Collins

I would be more worried about getting the pronation back first as loading on faulty biomechanics is a recipe for disaster. Are you getting treatment for the lack of pronation?

Ryan Segervall
On 11/29/2016 at 6:53 PM, Bas Albinus said:

Sounds like a real bummer! Glad to hear you are better and back to training making progress.

ya, currently getting treatment for it, as well as doing prescribed exercises to help address this deficit