By coincidence I came across this book the other day.
The Handbook of school gymnastics of the swedish system
I thought it was quite interesting and it must be one of the earlier books written about the gymnastics method. I always find it very interesting to go back in lineage and history when it comes to knowledge, ideas or art. A nice reminder that we're all standing on the shoulders of the giants that came before us.
Also quite interesting how much has remained the same since 125 years ago:
"The aim of educational gymnastics is to develop the body into a harmonious whole under the perfect control of the will"
"Excercise should be taken in correct "doses" with regular intervals, and with a progression from the easy and simple to that which is harder and more complicated"
++ many more solid quotes
It's a cool thought that maybe the teachers of the teachers of teachers of the teachers of Coach has had this as a starting point for developing gymnastics as we know it today