What's the thinking when it comes to using weighted vests in GST? recommended? pros? cons?
This is the particular weighted vest I am considering:
http://www.roguefitness.com/box-weighted-vests-universal-camo
Any thoughts would be much appreciated
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Started by Sal Cobian, November 28, 2016 · 5 Replies · 237 Views
What's the thinking when it comes to using weighted vests in GST? recommended? pros? cons?
This is the particular weighted vest I am considering:
http://www.roguefitness.com/box-weighted-vests-universal-camo
Any thoughts would be much appreciated
I don't think it will be worth your investment. One of the nice points about GST is the ability to increase difficulty to almost infinity by adjusting centre of gravity, or choosing a more difficult exercise. This can easily be achieved without a weighted vest.
It would be a far better use of your money to buy or build a set of stall bars, as those are indispensable in the long run. Stall bars allow you to get into all sorts of weird positions that are highly demanding with regards to strength and flexibility, and these positions are *quite* difficult to simulate on other equipment.
A prioritised lists would look something like this:
1: A set of rings
2: Yoga mat
3: Adjustable dumbell, up to 8-10 kg (for mobility) + a broom stick
4: Stall bars (Really these should be at the top of the list, but you need to commit a bit of cash and time for installation + you can get by without them for the first six months)
Hello Sal,
Yes, at advanced/elite levels a weight vest is a nice supplemental tool for GST.
You however are not yet advanced/elite. ![]()
Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer
Coach,
With your help and that of fellow GSTers, I'll get there soon :-)
Mikkel,
Your feedback is much appreciated. I got the Rogue stall bars (Coach's recommendation) and rings. I am pretty happy with it-- built like a tank
Do you use a barbell or dumbbells for the Jefferson curl? I use dumbbells and I am wondering if I missing something by not using a straight barbell.
The barbell seems a bit bulky for my apartment ...
For JC can be used both.
Obviously the benefit of having a barbell is easier heavy loading-- not that this is a short term priority