This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

How to work H1? A few questions about it

Started by Antonio Alías Montoya, November 27, 2016 · 11 Replies · 349 Views

Antonio Alías Montoya

Hi everyone!

I just purchased and did my first Handstand training. I was used to Foundation and Strecht Series, but I see Handstand is very different so I have a few questions.

First of all, if I understand properly I should do the 4 wrist stretches, after that the 4 wrist exercises and I can super set them and at the end I do the specific handstand exercise paired with the mobility. Is that right?

On the 4th wrist stretch i can t rotate my arm internally so much, only a bit more than 45 grades. What can I do? Is that ok?

About Wall First Knuckle Walk... I see that in the video the guy doesn t separate the fingers from the wall, should I do the same altough my mobility doesn t allow me to go so much backward? I can just separate from the wall a little bit then.

About PE1 mobility what is the approach to progress, should I start with I wide grip and little by little make it narrower, like in dislocation? or should I start with the required widht in which case I won t be able to reach behind my head the stick?

I tried the PE1 and I was trembling a lot and my legs where moving a lot and not feeling stable in my arms, any tips?

Sorry for asking many questions, but I was used to Wes specific explanation in F1 and Strecht and now I feel a bit lost and not sure if I am doing right.

I d appreciate very much coaches help but also anyone help.

 

Katherine Zodiaco

Hi, I've also just started the handstand program. I'm hoping to get some guidance on HS/PE1. In the tripod I mimic the athlete in the video by placing my hands close to my knees, place my forehead on the floor and am stuck, haha. I'm guessing I'm lacking some strength - I place what feels like all of my weight onto my forehead (which is at an angle to the floor, I'm not on top of my head) in order to lift one foot and then the the other and place on my elbows. I then grit my teeth feeling the weight fully on my neck.

I did my handstand workout on Friday. Today I've got an angry muscle in my upper back (I think it's a trap) and I woke up with a headache yesterday.

I'm hoping one of you coaches has a cue to help me with this weight placement. I can post a video next week - I am a little reluctant to ask myself to perform this move without knowing where should I be placing my weight when lifting my feet off the floor? Is there a cue that could help me place my weight better? Maybe I should practice lifting one foot off the ground at a time until I build up the strength required to get the weight off my forehead?

Thank you,

Kathy

Everett Carroll

Hi Kathy,

This is a common issue for beginners. I have a few tips for you but please do try to post a video. Footage helps us tremendously. 

-First, please rest until your trap feels better. You do not want to train through back, trap, or neck pain.

-You can practice by elevating your head on a thick cushion and focusing on putting extra weight into your shoulders, triceps, and hands. The higher head angle should force you to put more weight in your hands.

-Once that feels more comfortable, you want to transition to the floor and focus on spreading your weight evenly through the three points of contact. As soon as you feel extra weight shifting towards your head, stop and rest. 

Pauline Taube

Hi Antonio :)

That's correct, start your handstands training by preparing your wrist. Begin with the wrist stretches then do the wrist push-ups, then the handstand specific element with the integrated mobility. 

Don't worry about the 4th stretch atm, just keep doing it. As your wrist and shoulder mobility improves, this will get easier and you'll be able to go further into the stretch.

For the Wall First Knuckle Walk I recommend to start closer to the wall and gradually walk further away.

For the integrated mobility in PE1, try to start with about shoulder with apart and a hand. If this is too hard, you can start slightly wider and work your grip gradually in.

Feel free to post a form check of the exercises, that way it'll be easier to correct you :)

Antonio Alías Montoya

Thanks Pauline! I take note.

Katherine Zodiaco

Hi Everett,

Thank you for your coaching and encouragement to rest.  I will post videos for review (I owe one for SLS too) probably next week as I'm thinking this week will be a stretch/rest/recover week. 

 

Antonio Alías Montoya

Just one stupid question more, how does one check the seconds when working on handstand progressions? So far I am counting in my mind till 12, but later that won t be possible, it won t be fair and I ll be counting faster if I feel tired!

Pauline Taube

Good question Antonio.

I find it helpful to use a metronome. You can download the app to your phone or iPad :) 

Everett Carroll
54 minutes ago, Pauline Taube said:

I find it helpful to use a metronome. You can download the app to your phone or iPad :) 

I second this. Most of the apps will play behind your music.

Kim Haag

Hi,

I just purchased the Handstand One Programm and wonder if there is a detailed description of the exercises? The videos are without instruction and for the exercises I just found in the library short description, but could find a brief one. For example the question above with the mobility stick how wide the grip and when I mastered the iM...

Thanks a lot

Alessandro Mainente

HI kim the forum exists exactly to address these information. try to emulate the course execution then film yourself , then post on the correct forum  section and we'll give you a proper opinion and tips on how to refine the element.

Kim Haag

Thanks Alessandro for your quick reply! I am going to start toady and see how it works out.