This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Shoulder pain after MN/PE5

Started by Adam Kirby, November 27, 2016 · 6 Replies · 156 Views

Adam Kirby

Last night I did negative HLL for the first time, and felt a kind of popping sensation in one of my shoulders, and now today it hurts in certain ranges of motion.  I have had some kind of impingement in that shoulder for a couple months, although it has been steadily improving and I thought I was safe for this exercise.  Apparently not.  Other than going to the doc if the discomfort doesn't go away, how can I approach this exercise when it comes to shoulder problems?

Mats Trane

IF you do it on stallbars, put a thin mattress in the area where your shoulders are.

Mikkel Ravn

I've had this too.

Scale down the difficulty and keep volume low until shoulders adapt, over a few months. 

Petri Widsten

Three of my current progressions require a hanging leg lift/L-sit position where the shoulders are being pulled forward. They take their cumulative toll on the shoulder stabilisers so occasionally I skip a workout to give the stabilisers more time to recover.

Mikey Cunanan

This may be a result of a tight posterior capsule.  The thoracic bridge stretch course has great exercises to address this issue. Additional shoulder mobilization with resistance bands have proven to be useful as well. 

 

Adam Kirby

Thanks guys.  I did not have this problem with PE4/5, so it seems to be a problem of the additional ROM that f'ed me up.  May go back to V-ups and other compression drills for the time being, as I certainly don't want to injure myself further.

Coach Sommer

Hello Adam,

You may also perform the negative HLL with either undergrip or dorsal grip in the interim while your shoulder flexion improves.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer