This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Should I get the Stretch Series Now?

Started by Brendon Ferullo, November 26, 2016 · 6 Replies · 134 Views

Brendon Ferullo

Hi,

I've greatly enjoyed your program and I think the interface is great for the workouts as well.  The follow along videos and technique tips are great.

I've been doing Foundations 1 for a few months now, progressing gradually.  I've been doing the workouts in Foundations all together in one session (I think there are 7, 3 core, 3 upper body, 1 lower body) about 3 times a week.  When I deload I just do half the reps but keep all the mobility the same.  I was wondering if you would recommend adding a stretching series into this and maybe scaling back on quantity of Foundations each week?  As you've pointed out, generally it's my lack of flexibility and mobility that is the biggest issue.  Is doing all  7 of the Foundations exercises together at once recommended or should I break these up?  I also like to do running/sprints twice a week.

Anyways, any tips would be welcomed.  I did the sample middle split exercises on your site, and they look great.

 

Thanks again for the great work.  I wish there was a gymnastics studio like yours near me that I could join!

 

Brendon

Jeffrey Bittner

Hi Brendon,

It's great to hear that you have been working hard. At this point in your training getting one of the stretch series would be a great idea. We often recommend starting with the front splits series, but really any of the Stretch series will help you improve. When you add a stretch series, I would recommend scaling back on the foundation work slightly, however, you may still do multiple foundation workouts on the same day if you would like.

Brendon Ferullo

Hi Jeff,

Thank you for the prompt reply, I will get the front split series.  If I were to get one or two more, is there a law of diminishing returns with respect to juggling all of these goals?  I get up at 5 and generally have 50 minutes to 1 hour each day at least to workout, more on weekends.  Based on your experience, how many of the stretch series could I concurrently juggle with the Foundations while making adequate progress on each?

Thanks again. 

 

Brendon

 

Tanya Hill

Hi Brendon, 

Great question.

Typically Coach recommends to do each stretch course once a week. You will need 45 minutes to an hour to complete the full course.  When starting flexibility your body may need a day or two to recover between each session. This is why Jeffrey suggested to scale down on Foundations. Flexibility tends to leave you pretty sore the following day until your body adjusts. 

Everett Carroll

Hey Brendon,

Great question! Beginning all three stretch courses now is actually ideal. Like Jeffrey said, upon beginning any or all of the stretch courses, we suggest only completing each Foundation workout (Upper Body, Lower Body, and Core) once per week. This will allow your body to adapt to the stretch course(s). After your body feels used to the stretch courses and Foundation workouts, the next step would be adding in the free handstand, press handstand, and tumbling courses. 

Brendon Ferullo

Thank you Everett and Tanya,

 

And now I think I understand why that green check mark is in front of the Foundations workouts today even though I did them yesterday.  It's meant to indicate that I completed it for the week, which must be the default recommended minimum. 

 

I will get those stretching courses.  Thanks again.

Brendon

Everett Carroll

Not a problem Brendon. That is exactly what the green check mark indicates.