Just looking for suggestions. I just reached a point where I need something to use instead of stall bars since I work out at home. I have a squat rack, but the safeties don't seem to be enough back support. Don't have a separate pull up bar to put by a door. Any suggestions?
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
No stall bars, have squat rack... What to do?
Started by Gabriel Gorin, November 26, 2016 · 8 Replies · 227 Views
Hi Gabriel,
Some students have had success using things like ladders on local playground equipment as a sub for stall bars. Others have used secured ladders at their house or at their gym.
2 minutes ago, Jeffrey Bittner said:Hi Gabriel,
Some students have had success using things like ladders on local playground equipment as a sub for stall bars. Others have used secured ladders at their house or at their gym.
I don't know that I can make either suggestion work at the moment. Part of the reason I decided to do this program was that at least in principle it said that it could be done at home with minimal equipment and I have noticed that if I didn't have all the equipment I already have, many exercises would be almost impossible to complete. Stall bars seem to be one of those that I may as well get, but I don't want to install them knowing that I may be moving in a few months.... If I buy a pull up bar for the door, can I get most of the stall Bar exercises at least temporarily?
Hi Gabriel,
If you have ring straps, you can set those up horizontally, between the two vertical supports on your squat rack/pull-up bar. I suggest setting the top strap so it rests across your shoulder blades in a dead hang and the bottom strap about 6-12 inches below the top one. Crank them down super tight! This setup works well for the MN hanging leg lift progressions.
The GB blackstrap is currently out of stock but the door hanger set+backstrap work incredibly well for arch-up progressons in SL. Alternatively, f you have a box or bench that you can lay your legs accross, you can use a similar setup with the ring straps. Set them up between the supports so you can tuck your feet under them while laying on the box (consider padding the straps). Tucking your feet under a dumbbell rack or having someone hold your legs also works.
8 hours ago, Jeffrey Bittner said:Hi Gabriel,
Some students have had success using things like ladders on local playground equipment as a sub for stall bars. Others have used secured ladders at their house or at their gym.
I don't know that I can make either suggestion work at the moment. Part of the reason I decided to do this program was that at least in principle it said that it could be done at home with minimal equipment and I have noticed that if I didn't have all the equipment I already have, many exercises would be almost impossible to complete. Stall bars seem to be one of those that I may as well get, but I don't want to install them knowing that I may be moving in a few months.... If I buy a pull up bar for the door, can I get most of the stall Ba
6 hours ago, Everett Carroll said:Hi Gabriel,
If you have ring straps, you can set those up horizontally, between the two vertical supports on your squat rack/pull-up bar. I suggest setting the top strap so it rests across your shoulder blades in a dead hang and the bottom strap about 6-12 inches below the top one. Crank them down super tight! This setup works well for the MN hanging leg lift progressions.
The GB blackstrap is currently out of stock but the door hanger set+backstrap work incredibly well for arch-up progressons in SL. Alternatively, f you have a box or bench that you can lay your legs accross, you can use a similar setup with the ring straps. Set them up between the supports so you can tuck your feet under them while laying on the box (consider padding the straps). Tucking your feet under a dumbbell rack or having someone hold your legs also works.
r exercises at least temporarily?
This is doing something weird, so my apologies... @Everett Carrollthank you for your suggestions. Will try the ring straps as you suggested! Thank you!
No problem Gabriel. If you have to do them free hanging (from a doorway pull-up bar) until you can get stahl bars up that is okay as a temporary solution. If the straps don't work and you go that route, be sure to post a form check.
Will do as you suggest. Just to be sure, you mean for me to use the pull up bar to hold onto and the straps for back support, correct?
3 hours ago, Gabriel Gorin said:Will do as you suggest. Just to be sure, you mean for me to use the pull up bar to hold onto and the straps for back support, correct?
Exactly
@Everett Carroll, just wanted to let you know that I used the safeties and the ring straps and it worked like a charm. Don't think the pull up bar will work since I realized today that it is several inches in front of the verticals. Regardless, I was able to do the stall Bar reverse leg lifts without a problem! ![]()