This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HBP/PE2 and iM

Started by Guido Franchetti, November 26, 2016 · 21 Replies · 398 Views

Guido Franchetti

How is this coming along? Thanks in advance for the feedback!

 

Jeffrey Bittner

Hi Guido,

You're doing a pretty good job. On your PE, you are doing a good job of holding PPT. I would like to see more protraction at the top of each rep.

On your iM, as you lift the weight do not let your ribs come out. Keep your back and chest flat. Also, don't forget to "pivot" the shoulder when your arm is by your ear.

Guido Franchetti

Thanks for the feedback Jeffrey!

Guido Franchetti

Is the iM any better? I think I corrected what Jeffrey pointed out (?) but maybe I am arching a bit.

In the PE, is it fine if the hands are slightly behind the shoulders, or should they be straight below?

 

Jeffrey Bittner

Hi Guido,

It is looking better. As you said, you are still picking up a bit of arch in the back. 

You are doing a better job of rotating (pivoting) the shoulder as it is by your ear, but I would still like to see more rotation, almost 180 degrees, so that you are in shoulder extension as you lower the weight.

Maksis Riley

I don't think you need to rotate the torso so much; especially that first turn once you have lifted the dumbbell. If you minimise how much you twist the shoulder will be forced to rotate more. I may be wrong on this but if you can keep your chest pretty much facing forward then the shoulder does the work.

Guido Franchetti

Thanks Jeffrey and Maksis!

@Maksis Riley, your advice sounds makes a lot of sense to me: I am focusing on turning the torso a lot and that is probably sparing me some shoulder rotation. However I have just checked the demonstration video and the athlete is also turning the torso a lot (shoulder facing forward in both turns). Of course he also fully rotates the shoulder by 180, while I stop short of that.

Maybe I could start with less torso rotation and make sure that I rotate the shoulder by 180, and then increase torso rotation. Let us see what coaches say on this.

Maksis Riley

I know the videos perhaps show differently to what I'm suggesting so definitely wait to hear from the coaches. 

 

Here is how i see it: If you rotate the torso as you lift the arm then you are abducting the shoulder, rotate the torso 180° and then lower the arm you are adducting the shoulder. If however, you keep the torso as straight at possible and move the torso solely enough to keep the dumbbell moving in that frontal plane then you lift the shoulder in flexion, inlocate at the top and then lower in shoulder extension. I think this is the optimal way as it develops greater mobility in the shoulders. 

 

It is extremely possible I'm off with this description and interpretation. Also very possible that it's unnecessary to get this picky. However I know that when i perform it this way, it is a much more challenging exercise; which for the most part seems to be the direction GB pushes us. 

Guido Franchetti

I had not notice Alessandro's like - I suppose I can take that as an approval of Maksis's advice, right?

Guido Franchetti

Here is a recent set of PE2, is the amount of protraction sufficient?

Following Maksis's advice I have tried to limit torso rotation and focus on the arm rotation, any feedback? Thanks!

 

Jeffrey Bittner

Hi Guido,

You are making some great progress! Your push-ups are looking much better. Remember that there is a difference between protraction and hollow. You are picking up a bit too much hollow in the mid back and not enough protraction in the scapula. Focus your attention more on the upper back.

Your iM is also looking better. You are doing a much better job rotating the arm, however, most of your arm rotation is occurring in the elbow joint. The rotation should mainly stem from the shoulder joint. It's a small adjustment to make, but you're on the right track. Nice job!

Alessandro Mainente

Jeff point it is pretty interesting, your primarily goal it is to try to widening the lats, this is the purpose of the protraction.

Guido Franchetti

Thanks Jeffrey and Alessandro.

I had/have the problem of hollowing/curling when trying to increase protraction also in the sPL progressions, so it looks like I still have not understood well how to do it.

I will try Alessandro cue of widening the lats, but if anyone else has further suggestions on how to get/feel the correct muscle activation I would appreciate it!

Jeffrey Bittner

Hi Guido,

I like to imagine that someone is poking the middle of my chest with their finger. At the top of each rep I try to get the center of my chest as far away from their finger as possible.

Guido Franchetti
On 1/9/2017 at 11:04 PM, Jeffrey Bittner said:

Hi Guido,

You are making some great progress! Your push-ups are looking much better. Remember that there is a difference between protraction and hollow. You are picking up a bit too much hollow in the mid back and not enough protraction in the scapula. Focus your attention more on the upper back.

Your iM is also looking better. You are doing a much better job rotating the arm, however, most of your arm rotation is occurring in the elbow joint. The rotation should mainly stem from the shoulder joint. It's a small adjustment to make, but you're on the right track. Nice job!

Thanks a lot for the iM point Jeffrey - I tried last time and realised I was completely missing the point of the exercise. Rotating from the shoulder feels quite different and more intense, and I also get more ROM.

Guido Franchetti

Let's check how is this going. In the first video (sorry for the bad angle, hopefully it is still possible to evaluate, if not I will reshoot this), do I protract enough? Am I still hollowing?

In the 4th set my form is clearly worse. There is less protraction, but what else is wrong? I don't think I am piking, if anything I am picking up an arch...

 

Jeffrey Bittner

Hi Guido,

Nice improvement on your protraction. You are still slightly too hallowed. Keep working on flattening the middle of your back. In your second video you are doing a nice job of hitting PPT at the top of your reps, however, at the bottom you pick up some arch in the lower back. Hold PPT throughout your set.

It's getting better, keep working hard!

Guido Franchetti

I am not sure if shoulder rotation has improved at all, any comments? Thanks!

 

Guido Franchetti

How is the iM coming along?

For the PE, I am currently at step 8. This is my first set

and this is (part of) my last. Of course it is much worse: less ROM, less protraction, and I am clearly struggling.

However, I feel some improvements from one session to the next and (I think) the first sets are not too bad, so I was thinking of keep training at step 8. Or is that a bad idea and I'd better step back a bit?

Guido Franchetti

bump!

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Guido, in the IM the hand must be palm facing the ceiling until the hand reaches the shoulder height, while in the back the palm should start to be facing the floor when the hand reaches the shoulder height.

For the PE in the third video there is the general tendency of elevating the shoulders at the top of every rep, this must be avoided.

Guido Franchetti

Thanks Alessandro!