Would this hold my weight?

Started by Stephen Eagles, November 25, 2016 · 3 Replies · 2,037 Views

Stephen Eagles

Hi guys,

I'm eager to make a start on the foundation program, however my roommates refuse to allow me to purchase a pull up bar that goes over the door as they've had experience in the past of braking frames. 

I've looked into our underground parking and found this... Does anybody know what's inside that pipe & if it'd be sturdy? I weigh 130lbs and want to use it for my rings.

download (1).png


Thanks

download.png

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Stephen , you should ask to the people who installed the manufacturer, I think that the type of attachment to the ceiling has a reference standard which states the number of KG that the structure can held.

Douglas Wadle

I doubt the building will let you hang your rings there, but it's worth an ask.  I would recommend a local park, or a gym when the weather is bad.  Maybe a tree branch outside?  

Kurt Walmsley

The black pipe is sprinkler and will easily hold your BW. The grey plastic pipe is waste water and will also hold your 130lbs. If your hanging straps off the pipe then find a spot close to the threaded rods that connects the pipe to the ceiling above. They use the same anchors that rock climbers use to mount the carabiner anchors to a rock face (each is rated to hold 200-300lb). Condo staff wouldn't know this and would probably be quick to assume you'll tear it all down just by hanging off it. When it gets installed I see the pipe fitters hang tool bags from them all the time. Stay off camera and you'll have no problems.