This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Seal

Started by Anthony Winyard, November 25, 2016 · 6 Replies · 178 Views

Anthony Winyard

When doing The Seal my hips seem to be a long way from the floor compared to those on the video. I have my shoulders protracted and up as high as I can and meanwhile trying to push my hips down into the floor but they're a few inches above the floor and if I position myself so my hips are touching the floor then I can't lock my elbows.

I've been doing the Stretch series for a couple of months now. Is this something that will just come with time or should I be doing something different?

Coach Sommer

Hello Anthony,

The shoulders should be retracted and depressed during the seal stretch.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Anthony Winyard

Thanks Coach... seems so obvious now!

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

What if my shoulders are retracted and depressed and my hips still aren't touching :P

Suzanna McGee
3 hours ago, Daniel Taylor-Shaut said:

What if my shoulders are retracted and depressed and my hips still aren't touching :P

Then your spine is stiff :) Just like mine :( I am waiting for that day when I beautifully arch like the guys in the follow-along video. 

Mark Schoenhard
11 hours ago, Daniel Taylor-Shaut said:

What if my shoulders are retracted and depressed and my hips still aren't touching :P

Elevating the hips and legs with a panel mat helps train the range of motion.  Keep the hands on the floor.  Over time decrease the elevation.

Julia Quigley

Tight hip flexors could be holding you back. I noticed a significant improvement in the position and ability to comfortably keep my legs together when I started working on my hip flexors.