This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

RC/PE2 form check

Started by Maksis Riley, November 24, 2016 · 14 Replies · 265 Views

Maksis Riley

I don't think anything in GB has humbled me like the rope climb progressions. Before the change to the progression order it took me a year to master hinge rows and after that I got to ground rows and was struggling to get 4x8r. Back then i though the iM was 30s per side, so I was resting more. And now it's 5x15 instead of 5x10 so I am reaching out in desperation :lol:

 

I'm not sure why these progressions cause me so much trouble, clearly it is just my weak point, which is a funny one because before starting f1, i thought my pulling to be a strong point :ph34r:

 

I find that I fatigue so quickly.

 

Anyway I am swallowing my pride and posting a form check of 4x9, with a very questionable last set...

 

 

Please pick it apart, be ruthless, I want my pulling to catch up with the rest of the elements

 

Thank you

Max

Jeffrey Bittner

Hi Max,

Things are looking okay. There is a little bit too much rest between sets. Also, like you said, the last set was outside of your physical capabilities at this point. I recommend taking a step back and perfecting Step 4 4x6 without any rest between sets and pulling your chest to the rings on each rep. This will help you to progress more quickly in the long run.

Also, on your iM, it looks like your elbow is bending as you lean to the side to stretch the lat. It is hard to tell by the angle, but make sure that the elbows are straight.

Suzanna McGee

And I thought I am stuck on these forever… thinking that it is easy for you, men, with nice big strong upper bodies… :) I tire similarly like you, Maksis, so I am taking Jeffrey's advice as well and scaling it back to 4x6r. I want to learn how to love these darn rings in the long run :)

Petri Widsten

As these are ground rows, aren't they supposed to start with one's back just brushing the floor? I was advised to do my incline rows starting at 30 deg...Sorry Maksis, I'm not helping very much am I?

Maksis Riley

No not exactly Petri, but i could do with a reality check.

 

With the height and rest periods i was mimicking the follow along as best i could but i will aim for lower rings and less rest.

 

I will double check my elbows on iM but they hyper extend and I'm pretty sure that's what you're seeing Jeffrey.

 

Thanks for the pointers all

 

Max

Greg White

Not that I can offer any advice for you Max but im due to reach PE2 soon. Your post has me thinking of a PE 1.5 so I can try to get volume in at an angle halfway between pe1 & 2 before committing to ground rows.

 

Paul McLachlan
11 hours ago, Maksis Riley said:

Back then i though the iM was 30s per side, so I was resting more.

It's not 30s per side?!

(PS. Your form in the last set was much better than the poor girl trying to do squats behind you.)

Maksis Riley
8 hours ago, Greg White said:

Not that I can offer any advice for you Max but im due to reach PE2 soon. Your post has me thinking of a PE 1.5 so I can try to get volume in at an angle halfway between pe1 & 2 before committing to ground rows.

 

Yeah I will consider doing that. Certainly something needs to change for me. I think I will stick with ground rows but move them first in my session and then finish the session with incline rows for volume.

 

3 hours ago, Paul McLachlan said:

It's not 30s per side?!

(PS. Your form in the last set was much better than the poor girl trying to do squats behind you.)

 

No, 30s total :wacko: I don't know if it was changed or if there was always a misunderstanding but 30s is not a lot of rest; hence my breather between sets :lol:

Koenraad Van Leemput

Hi Maksis,

I can sympathise with your situation.  I have put in quite a bit of work in the pulling as well, but for me it is the HBP progressions which really kill me. First set is always OK, but it really goes downhill in the later sets.

One thing I have found helpful is to emphasize all quality sets/reps, but add on an additional set(s) in the end to build up the volume.  So for example when working towards 4 x 9 (36 reps total), you could do 3 x 9, 1 x 6, 1 x 3 - making sure all reps are in perfect form.

Of course, this is only one of the ways you can try to get past sticking points. In the forum you can find other tips, for example in Nash's thread on HBP/PE2.  A lot of the advice could be applicable here.

Success !

Koen

Maksis Riley

Thanks for the input Koen. Quality is the way to go, you are right. 

 

I'm going to aim for 6x6 before going 4x9 :)

 

Thanks, and happy training!

Max

Brian Michalski

Based on Petri's response - what is the correct height for the rings on ground rows?

I was doing them with as little space between my back and the floor as possible. However, after looking at the follow along video I raised them up as the instructors appear to have their shoulders 12 or more inches from the floor. Not to cause more problems but they also don't appear to be touching hands to chest which I thought was proper form. Can proceed I with hands close to chest?

Everett Carroll
2 hours ago, Brian Michalski said:

what is the correct height for the rings on ground rows?

At full extension of the arms, you want your shoulders should just off the ground.

2 hours ago, Brian Michalski said:

Can proceed I with hands close to chest?

Pull all the way to your chest. You will thank me when you get to PE6 ;) 

Maksis Riley

So I went back to 4x6 yesterday, hands to chest every rep and no breather at all. I added a slight pause at the top of the reps to challenge me a but more. Provided I hit every set cleanly I am going to add additional sets each workout.

 

I'll post a video to check improvements at some point soon :)

 

I appreciate everyone's input, RC is my white whale

Suzanna McGee
2 hours ago, Maksis Riley said:

RC is my white whale

"However big the whale may be, the tiny harpoon (your persistence) can rob him of life" :):):) 

I dropped to 4x6r after reading your thread, and also feel pretty powerful now. Yay, let's get that whale. 

Maksis Riley

Nice, let's get it @Suzanna McGee !