This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Starting off with Foundation and Bundle question

Started by Ted Rarrick, November 24, 2016 · 4 Replies · 137 Views

Ted Rarrick

First of all, kudos to everyone involved with developing this GST program! I recently finished Fundamentals and absolutely love the versatility of this program based on fitness levels.

I've read the forums and want to make sure I understand my starting point. I bought the Foundation plus the Stretch and Thoracic programs.It also appears to have some Handstand samples as well.

I am a 56 yr old male who has been sedentary for several years and have very little joint mobility. Is it ok to start with the "Coach recommended" 5 day schedule that includes all of the above programs I mentioned?

I will continue to become more familiar with the interface but was hoping to get in my first workout prior to our Thanksgiving dinner today so any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

To Coach Sommer and all of the instructors on the videos - thanks for the great program you've put out. For people like me who had given up on the hope of regaining mobility and proper strength training we now have a method to progress properly and at a pace that our bodies allow and regain much better use of our bodies.

Jeffrey Bittner

Hi Ted,

Coach Sommer's recommendation has been developed based on years of experience and would be a fantastic way to begin your Foundation and Stretch training. These courses are designed to help you build your strength and flexibility by taking small steps and small adjustments which, over time, will make a huge difference in your physical health. I would recommend beginning with Coach's recommendation and if need be, adjustments can be made to help maximize your individual progress.

Ted Rarrick
48 minutes ago, Jeffrey Bittner said:

Hi Ted,

Coach Sommer's recommendation has been developed based on years of experience and would be a fantastic way to begin your Foundation and Stretch training. These courses are designed to help you build your strength and flexibility by taking small steps and small adjustments which, over time, will make a huge difference in your physical health. I would recommend beginning with Coach's recommendation and if need be, adjustments can be made to help maximize your individual progress.

Jeff- thanks much for the quick response. I'll do as you suggested. Looking forward to getting my first workout in!

Mark Anderson

Ted:

Welcome to GB. Looks like we're next door neighbors; I'm in New Mexico. I started the program last Spring right before my 61st birthday. I think you'll like this program. It covers pretty much everything: strength, mobility, and flexibility from head to toe. I continue to be amazed at the results.

Starting with Coach's recommendation is a good call. It may seem easy at the very beginning. Trust me, though, it will challenge you in short order. After you've been at it a while and have developed a reasonable base, you can experiment with a higher frequency. I'm currently experimenting with twice a week for upper body, lower body, core, and handstand; once a week for each of the stretch courses. If that proves too stressful, or I don't have the time, I'll drop back.

The two most important characteristics for success in the program are consistency and patience. Those of us that a bit more "seasoned" may even have an advantage here. ;-)

One other thing I will add: all body weight programs are optimized by improving the strength to weight ratio. This has certainly been the case for me. Jeff Serven's Thrive nutrition program is very effective for this. Recommended.

Mark

Ted Rarrick

Mark-

Thanks for the encouragement. Great to see some people in my age bracket getting after it!

I totally agree with the consistency and patience. My question about the starting point was not so much that it would be too easy but that it may be too challenging with all the programs but it sounds like it starts out at a level I can handle and then gradually move up from there.

I also agree on the strength/weight ratio topic. I'm currently in a leaning out phase right now so that should help with my progress. I'm sure we'll be talking again soon as I work my way through the program.