This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Front and Middle Split on the same day?

Started by Julian Krimmel, November 24, 2016 · 10 Replies · 274 Views

Julian Krimmel

Hello,

I have been doing the strech series for about two month now. I find the scheduling for three strech series difficult to fit in to my timetable. Is it possible/advisable to do two series, eg. front and middle split, on the same day?

Thanks for you help

Julian

Everett Carroll

Hey Julian,

Great question. There is absolutely nothing wrong with doubling up on the two series if that is what works best for your weekly schedule. Just be extra cognizant of the intensity. Don't push your discomfort beyond a 3 or 4 out of 10. Progress with these courses is made slow and steady.

Alessandro Mainente

Well if you are forced by time constraints it is ok BUT consider that adductors, psoas, hamstring, glutes, piriformis are all hips stabilizers, probably end a stretch course limits the amount of assistance you can have by some muscles during the following course. all the courses are pretty taxing on the CNS so i do not know how you can respond. you can try but personally it is not the best solution.

Petri Widsten

I only do each once in two weeks so every week I alternate between MS and FS.

Leonhard Krahé

You also might consider doing only two stretch series each week and simply rotate through so you do each series twice every three weeks. If you schedule your stretching sessions Tue and Fri, for example, you would hit each session every 10-11 days which gives you pretty consistent intervals. I do it like this and it takes away a lot of stress and frustration about sessions missed due to time constraints.

Julian Krimmel

Thanks for all the input. I will try your different ideas and see what works best for me.

Greg White
On 11/24/2016 at 11:32 PM, Petri Widsten said:

I only do each once in two weeks so every week I alternate between MS and FS.

How's your progression coming along with only doing each once every 2 weeks?

Petri Widsten
6 hours ago, Greg White said:

How's your progression coming along with only doing each once every 2 weeks?

I'm not actively monitoring my progress as my leg/hip mobility is not holding me back in F and H1 but for sure there's been progress. One thing I've noticed recently is that in a sitting pancake I've gone from being able to keep my forehead on the floor to now being able to keep my chin on the floor. As my shoulder mobility is also good, in the mobility area I'm focused on improving my T-spine/bridge mobility where I have the most to gain. This is why I do the Thoracic series weekly and MS/FS is a much lower priority.

Greg White
14 hours ago, Petri Widsten said:

I'm not actively monitoring my progress as my leg/hip mobility is not holding me back in F and H1 but for sure there's been progress. One thing I've noticed recently is that in a sitting pancake I've gone from being able to keep my forehead on the floor to now being able to keep my chin on the floor. As my shoulder mobility is also good, in the mobility area I'm focused on improving my T-spine/bridge mobility where I have the most to gain. This is why I do the Thoracic series weekly and MS/FS is a much lower priority.

Ah ok. This makes sense for your current level of ability. I'm at the beginning of MS and was hoping you had found a magic sweet spot so I could fit in the FS and MS series within my time constraints and make significant progress with both.    

Petri Widsten

Other options are to 1) alternate MS and FS and add in a few of your "favourite" stretches from the series you're not doing and 2) combine the two into one session but shorten the duration of each exercise. I think the main thing is to be consistent with whatever system you use. Certain weighted iMs from F1-F2 might also be a useful add-on to your MS/FS or could be done separately on other training days.

Greg White
13 hours ago, Petri Widsten said:

Other options are to 1) alternate MS and FS and add in a few of your "favourite" stretches from the series you're not doing and 2) combine the two into one session but shorten the duration of each exercise. I think the main thing is to be consistent with whatever system you use. Certain weighted iMs from F1-F2 might also be a useful add-on to your MS/FS or could be done separately on other training days.

That's great, cheers for the ideas.