This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Shrugs retraction, keeping elbows locked with hands shoulder width not physically possible

Started by Felipe Garcia Rosa, November 24, 2016 · 13 Replies · 293 Views

Felipe Garcia Rosa

Hey there,

I am practicing scap shrugs, already managed to hold PPT, tight core and glutes, but I am still not able to keep elbows locked while retracting with hands shoulder width. Even if I externally rotate strongly.

Already posted videos on Video Review.

Only If I GREATLY elevate my shoulders on retraction I can keep them locked.

I was thinking that maybe its not physically possible to keep hands shoulder width, and lock elbows on retraction, since the upper torax is widther than shoulders on retraction (explaining some bend at that point), which explains why only greatly elevating shoulders makes this possible.

Is extreme elevation of shoulders on retraction the way to go? What am I missing?

Feli

Everett Carroll

Hey Feli,

I remember your videos from review and know you've been working hard at this. It is definitely physically possible and also quite necessary to learn how to coordinate this. I will see if the other coaches have other tips for you but here are mine:

-Instead of elevating your scapulas, depress them. 

-Try to have a training partner spot your elbows as you practice retracting.

For warmup: 

-Practice retracting and protracting while on your hands and knees, similar to cat cow. Really focus on locked elbows here.

-Similarly, do some reps of scapular shrugs at an incline, in the same starting position as incline rows.

-Practice protraction and retraction in a forearm plank. You can send us videos of these three variations in your next video review submission, along with your latest scapular shrug form.

Pleasd send those in and we can reassess. Keep working at it Feli! You will get these. 

 

Tanya Hill

Hi Feli, 

Everett definitely hit the key points. Keep practicing things will come over time. 

Luke Searra

Keep working Feli you'll get there. Great advice from Everett

Felipe Garcia Rosa

Thank you very much for all the support! thats very helpful.

will keep shoulders depressed at all times and post the videos later.

 

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

If you watch the follow along video the athletes come forward. Their shoulders dont elevate but by leaning a bit i've found that it makes it a little easier to protract and retract with elbows locked.

Felipe Garcia Rosa

Hey Daniel,

Thanks for your comment. Makes sense since your feet dont move and you are holding a straight line.

Mark Collins

Most of my patients that have shoulder pain struggle with this also. I will usually train them on all fours as Everett described. If they cannot do this I teach them how to do scapula shrugs laying on the back. Most people can do this. Then I progress to the wall, on an incline then to floor.

It usually indicates poor muscle control and poor straight arm strength. Practice a lot through the day and you will get it within weeks.

Felipe Garcia Rosa

Hey Mark,

Good to know that.

Today I did both incline pushup and row, plank and catcow shrugs versions and my control improved at the end when I performed PE1! So very helpful those.

Feli

Rayne-William Fitzgerald

From my non partnered workouts... I find that flexing my triceps helps keep my elbows "locked."

Daniel Taylor-Shaut
10 hours ago, Rayne-William Fitzgerald said:

From my non partnered workouts... I find that flexing my triceps helps keep my elbows "locked."

+1 for this.

Felipe Garcia Rosa
12 hours ago, Rayne-William Fitzgerald said:

From my non partnered workouts... I find that flexing my triceps helps keep my elbows "locked."

Hey there,

By flexing you mean pressing your triceps through your body?

Daniel Taylor-Shaut
1 hour ago, Felipe Garcia Rosa said:

Hey there,

By flexing you mean pressing your triceps through your body?

He means flexing your triceps, a lá bodybuilders posing. Flex your tricep muscles in that way. It helps keep your arm straight and elbows locked (I found it useful for the RC mobilities, since it helps engage my lats better for some reason).

Felipe Garcia Rosa

Great will try that!