This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Scapular Shrugs sPL PE1 - Soreness in right forearm

Started by Zachary Ladwig, November 24, 2016 · 9 Replies · 255 Views

Zachary Ladwig

Hi! I'm about 7 weeks into foundation 1. I am really enjoying the program overall, but in the last two weeks, I've started to feel some soreness in my right forearm during scapular shrugs (sPL PE1). The area is kind of inflamed now and is sensitive to the touch. Today, for the first time, I cut the scapular shrugs short after 1 set because it was so sore.

Has anyone else experienced this? In general, what's the right way to train through soreness?

Everett Carroll

Hi Zachary,

Thanks for reaching out. We do have some medical professionals on here who may be able to provide a more informed opinion. My suggestion is see a physio for an in-person diagnosis. In the meantime, hold off on scapular shrugs and another other exercises that are causes inflammation and pain. This is not something to be pushing through so you did the right thing by stopping early in your last workout. 

Joshua Slocum

Reduce your sPL PE1 volume immediately, and the volume on any other exercises that exacerbate the inflammation: you shouldn't feel inflammation after your workout. You may need to spend a few weeks at this reduced volume before moving further. Ice and NSAIDs may help the inflammation heal more quickly. 

Do you feel the same issues with HBP PE1?

Are you doing H1? The wrist stretching+exercising series may be of use to you. 

 

Zachary Ladwig

Thanks for the responses! 

Interestingly, I don't notice the same soreness with HBP PE1.

I haven't been doing H1. Just foundation and the stretch courses so far. Was thinking about adding it after I made some more progress with F1 (either after 3 or 6 months).

Nathaniel McAdoo

@Everett Carroll

Along the lines of scap shrug problems, my clavicles make a clicky noise at/near the very bottom. Any tips/advice

 

Everett Carroll

Is the click painful or uncomfortable, @Nathaniel McAdoo ?

Nathaniel McAdoo

There’s no pain, it just is a click /grinding sensation in my sternoclavicular joint as I hit a certain depth (most reps). @Everett Carroll

Everett Carroll

Hmmm, I'd say limit your ROM for now in an attempt to avoid the clicking. Submitting a form check and checking in with a physio are the two things I would do in your position. 

Zachary Ladwig

@Everett Carroll

 

did the iM for this one. How does it look?

 

 

Everett Carroll

Can you get your outside knee to touch the ground? Moving your feet slightly closer together could help if it's not possible in this position.