This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HS/PE11 form check

Started by Maksis Riley, November 23, 2016 · 12 Replies · 148 Views

Maksis Riley

I'm not formally working this progression but like to include wall handstands at sub maximal effort after my main work. 

 

With the wrist to wall variation, am I correct in thinking that, unless someone has a very slender profile, the arms will not be completely vertical; this is how it appears in the course video and how i experience it myself, too. Is this the correct way to perform the element? It certainly loads my traps heavily this way.

 

Any pointers would be appreciated and clarification on the angle of the arms would be great too :)

 

Thanks all

Max

Alessandro Mainente

Hi MAx How far is one hand from the other? the form it is pretty good, you can try to move the armpit as much close as possible to the wall.

Maksis Riley

Hi Alex, here is my hand width 

 

 

Thanks for the pointers

Max

Jeffrey Bittner

Hi Max,

The hand width looks good. Make sure that you are pushing tall through the shoulders. I like to think about pinching my ears between my shoulders as I hold my handstand.

Maksis Riley

Thanks Jeffrey, I will focus on that :)

 

 

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Maksis, i'm sorry for my cruelty ;-) But you tend to have a bit of tilt in the shoulder. look at the photo below

shoulder leaning.png

I took a vertical vertical line exactly in between the hands, and you are no symmetric, you are putting more weight on the right shoulder, this is a bit typical of a more tight capsule, try to be accurate also on the bridge checking for the same detail and if you have the left arm completely straight.

Suzanna McGee
13 minutes ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

I took a vertical vertical line exactly in between the hands, and you are no symmetric, you are putting more weight on the right shoulder, this is a bit typical of a more tight capsule,

@Alessandro Mainente, just curious… is it his left capsule that is tight and that's why the body doesn't want to put more weight on it? 

I am on PE7/PE8 and I have a feeling like my right shoulder got a tiny "weakness/instability" lately (compared to the left shoulder). (Maybe from my pole fitness classes).  It could be my capsule maybe too… The exercises in TBS stretch the capsule (and I do them) but would you have some other  stretches to add daily, please? I do dislocates regularly too, standing and on the floor, over and under grip… 

Alessandro Mainente

It is the natural tendency of the body when capsule it is tight the flexion it is limited and since the handstand it is a double supports position when an arm tends to show less flexion we have 2 possibilities:

-one shoulder lean an bit forward and the body is twisted , typical of free handstand

-if the handstand it is supported by wall the body tend to lean to the more flexbile side. 

cat pose variation contributes to release the capsule but it requires really a lot.

 

Maksis Riley

Please do not apologise! I actually noticed this too and was curious about it, so I am really glad you pointed it out.

 

Generally my right shoulder feels tighter overhead. I also pulled something in my right oblique back at the HS seminar in Stroud and i don't know if that has left some residual tightness that contributes??? 

 

I guess going even further back in time, i suffered some back pain in lower left lumbar which was diagnoses as "aggravated disc". This is actually what got me started with GB and moving away from weight training. I'm drifting, but thought I'd throw out possibilities. 

 

It's very interesting and i will certainly film some bridges and cat to see what's going on. And I'm going to be very cautious and conscious of it and try to sift to my left arm slightly.

 

Thanks for the help!

Max

Alessandro Mainente

Obliques can be the problem on your right side...side pancake please!

Maksis Riley

Hey @Alessandro Mainente, 

 

Here is an elevated bridge

 

And i only thought afterwards; is side pancake the same as pancake shoulder? I hope so....

 

 

Going to my left definitely felt much tighter. Not only in right oblique but also the my Lat

 

Thanks for the help

Max

Alessandro Mainente

As I was suspecting:

-during the bridge your left hand it is a bit more in front of the right. not too much, it is enough 1 cm to compensate

-during side pancake if you look to the upper arm near the ear when the right one it is near the ear it can completely moves behind the head while the left cannot.

Both my points confirm my suspect, your left shoulder it is more tight, do you have the TB course?

Maksis Riley

I do have the TBs course and i see what you mean except i see it the opposite way around. To me, my left arm looks to be behind my head while my right is not yet? Am i misunderstanding??

 

I can see the left hand closer to the camera in my bridge though for sure. 

 

Also my right shoulder is the one that feels tighter with all the Rope Climb and HBP iMs too.

 

Maybe I am not seeing what you are seeing Alessandro but could a tight right shoulder be contributing rather than left?