This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Back Spasms. Help.

Started by Joel Ow, November 23, 2016 · 5 Replies · 60 Views

Joel Ow

Woke up this morning and bent to pick up my bedding when my back siezed up. I've never had this before.

I can turn side to side. I can't bend front to back.

Is this normal when exploring new range of motion?

I'm 37. Not unfit ie I do jujitsu, go for 7km runs 2 x each week. First time I experienced something like this, so I'm a little bit worried... 

Alessandro Mainente

HI Joel, well after some too intense exercise I had some similar situation in the past. Wait a bit so that the problem is gone, then restart with a lighter workout. then tell us if the problem persists.

Joel Ow

Ok. I assume it gets better as the muscles strengthen?

Alessandro Mainente

It is possible but if the problem persist try to reduce the intensity as first suggestion.

Ethan Grossman

First, listen to coach Sommers podcast with Tim Ferriss, he talks about how to treat strains like back spasms. I had the same issue and found that heat 2x a day using a microwaveable heating pad did wonders. I combined this with stretching and it improved quickly to where I could function. Took a little over a week to get back to 100%. I also continued to do the exercises after two days off. I found the contraction (crab, arch, back support) combined with the stretching (ape, stiff bear, straddle, twists) helped a lot. 

Pauline Taube

Thanks for sharing Ethan, good to hear that you recovered :)