This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Can just do core+lower or a few months - how to balance workload?!

Started by Bas Albinus, November 23, 2016 · 5 Replies · 230 Views

Bas Albinus

Hey guys,
I'll have surgery soon to fix my injured shoulder.
As a consequence I won't be able do to any shoulder related exercises, anything that involves hanging, pushing, pulling etc. for a while, so no F7, no upper.
I've not been doing any for the past weeks. Also stepped back down a few progressions to avoid HLL, vertical pike walks etc.
I used to do F7 3-4xweek. Had to step it down a notch to F7 1xweek and 2-3xcore + lower. Now I finally threw in the towel on any upper body strength exercise, just maintaining some easy mobility and stretches until surgery.
Just doing core and lower is already getting a bit boring, but might actually be ok for a while - I could use a change of focus and do more of those exercises that are not my favourite. 
What I'm worried about is the workload! How to arrange a reasonable schedule? 
I think core can take quiet a bit of strength exercise with less recovery time, but legs (limbs in general) not so much.
So do legs maybe 2xweek and core 4x?
Add more exercises to a core session(4-5 instead of 3)?  
Vary the exercises using older mastered elements? 
E.g. instead of F7 I'm doing just lower+core, but I've added single sets of cosack, twisting, inside squats, leg extensions etc. 
V-ups are getting to easy, but all the following progressions involve hanging. So I'm doing longer sets or added a little weight to my feet.

Any suggestions? Tipps regarding workload and schedule would be great - and some tricks how to mix it up and keep it interesting while making progress highly appreciated! 
Thank y'all in advance.
Bas
 

Matic Balantic

Hey man, I wish you a quick recovery. I had/have some problems with shoulder/elbow, and I wasn't able to train how I wanted. I found this very demotivating, and although I was consistent, my workouts weren't as good of a quality as I wanted. It is mentally hard to do good work if you are very limited. It took me a while (4 years) to realize that this is just an excuse. There is always something to address. You seem motivated and I know this wasn't your question, but just seemed like a good place to throw that in, since mind can start playing tricks with you, if you think about how limited you are and focus on what you can't do or think of your workouts as boring. Just remember, there is always something you can work on!

Now to your question:
It really depends on a person, but you can do legs more often if you want. I went from 1x per week to 3x per week. I was sore for a while, but I made sure my form was good and progress slowly. I went from 4x8x70kg (when I started squating, and this was not my maximum, but wanted to be sure my form is good) to 5x5x125kg in less then a year. Then my pants started getting tight and I backed off to 1x per week :D I noticed 3x per week was my limit, although cossacks, side to side squats, twisting squats ... I do them almost every day, it is a warm up for me. 

As Coach mentioned in one of his podcasts, you can go really hard on your core, but I suggest you make sure you are not too tired to make progress. 

And last - I bet you can add some more mobility work in as well! :) You will make good progress and spice up your training :)

just my 2 cents

Bas Albinus

@Matic Balantic thanks for your input. I'm actually using cosacks/twisting/inside squats along with other prev. mastered elements as a warm up. Also focusing more on mobility and stretching these days. Can definitely use more of that.    

Mikkel Ravn

To add to the above, now would be a good time to get started on the middle split and front split courses, if you haven't already. They do require a bit of support strength at times, but I think most of it should be doable using just your good arm.

Bas Albinus
On 11/24/2016 at 5:44 PM, Mikkel Ravn said:

To add to the above, now would be a good time to get started on the middle split and front split courses, if you haven't already. They do require a bit of support strength at times, but I think most of it should be doable using just your good arm.

Sounds like a good guess. Just got back from surgery. Will have to wear a sling for a month and long rehab phase ahead. Cartilage was all worn down to the bone. No more boxing for a long time.:angry: happy I got foundation to start building up my shoulder from scratch soon.  Shift of focus to lower body and stretching will be good for me. New things to discover:)

Greg White
1 hour ago, Bas Albinus said:

Sounds like a good guess. Just got back from surgery. Will have to wear a sling for a month and long rehab phase ahead. Cartilage was all worn down to the bone. No more boxing for a long time.:angry: happy I got foundation to start building up my shoulder from scratch soon.  Shift of focus to lower body and stretching will be good for me. New things to discover:)

Hope you make a quick recovery!