This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Developing Active Back Flexibility

Started by Javier Richa, November 22, 2016 · 16 Replies · 2,012 Views

Javier Richa

Hi,

I'm wondering if somebody can help me out. I am having trouble with holy body rocks because I can't seem to put my lumbar on the floor. this is not a problem for the bent knee rock so I think it might not be inflexibility with my lower back but instead tight quadriceps and iliopsoas.

anybody else have this problem? if so how did they solve it. I have been doing the front split for a while and just acquired the middle split and thoracic bridge....would the thoracic bridge help with this? should I just give it time with thoracic bridge?

thanks!

Everett Carroll

Hi Javier,

In most cases, this is a strength issue. Can you please submit a video of your FL/PE1 and FL/PE2 form so we can be sure?

Ronnicky Roy

Strength more than likely. May not have had good form on bent hollow hold, because you need a solid hold to do rocks while keeping low back down.

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Javier probably you have very weak abs and too strong hips flexor.

Coach Sommer

Hello Javier,

The GB Handstand One course contains the developmental posterior pelvic tilt exercises that you are looking for.

It may help to remember that H1 and the stretch courses are designed to run in tandem with Foundation.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Ted Rarrick
On 12/1/2016 at 7:04 AM, Coach Sommer said:

It may help to remember that H1 and the stretch courses are designed to run in tandem with Foundation.

Coach Sommer

To @Coach Sommer ( or any of the other coaches ):

Should I wait a few weeks to buy H1 or start now? I'm almost done with my first week of F1 and all of the Stretch series. So far, so good but it has been quite the humbling experience and my workouts have taken much longer than anticipated as I review the tips/techniques videos to understand the form.  I really want to develop consistency with my weekly workouts. Would introducing H1 be a little too much for me to handle right now. I am a 56 yr old male who has been a bit sedentary the past few years and have embarrassingly little flexibility right now.

Thanks for the great program you have provided us. Wish I had access to something like this 20 years ago!

Alessandro Mainente

HI Ted, stretch course works wonderfully if pared with foundations.

Ted Rarrick

@Alessandro Mainente - yes I agree and I am glad I bought the bundle package and started the stretch series with foundation. I would highly encourage other newbies to do the same......I'm just trying to determine if I should buy H1 now or wait a few weeks to get my current routine grooved in.

Alessandro Mainente

Consider Ted that with Stretch course we are going to expand the available range of motion especially with the back and then with foundations especially the front lever work we are going to learn how to use properly this range of motion. 

Coach Sommer

Hello Ted,

Great question.

My advice is to wait a few weeks and become comfortable with F1 and Stretch and then introduce H1.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Mark Anderson

Javier/Ted:

Javier, as mentioned, HS helps with being able to hold PPT.

Ted, Coach gave you good advice. That is what I did: added HS after getting used to the volume of Foundation training. My experience with adding HS has revealed a couple of things:

1. The whole system is very synergistic. Optimal results are directly proportional to how much of the system you can incorporate and your consistency in doing so.

2. Adding HS does add some volume to your shoulder work that is additive to the load from Foundation and Thorasic Bridge stretch. That said, after doing all that for several months now, my shoulders feel better and more resilient than they have in years.

Disclaimer: these comments are from someone with only about 6-8 months in the system. I am on PE 2-4 in the Foundation elements, PE 2 in HS, and PE 1 in pHS. Even so, I am seeing measurable results in strength, mobility, and flexibility

Mark

Suzanna McGee

Ted,

I am 51 and I came to GST for the Handstand in August. I "just" wanted to learn a handstand. What did I know? lol  Then I realized, Holy Moly, this stuff is great. So each week I added one more thing, TBS, FSS, MSS. And then I realized I want it all and got all 4 Foundations. Like other people say, it is all highly synergetic and everything helps everything… I think when you work F1 and stretches for a little bit, you will feel when you are ready to add H1, too. You will just really want it… rather than thinking if you should :) 

Ted Rarrick

Alessandro - thanks for your comment. I've tried all types of routines in the past for mobility but nothing stuck long term. With GST I now finally have hope that over time I will achieve a decent ROM.

Mark - thanks for those two tips. In just barely less than a week I can relate to the synergistic effect. Looks like I'll be adding H1 fairly soon. Glad to hear H1 helped your shoulders as mine are a mess right now.

Suzanna - thanks for your post. I can see how you get the "bug" with GST! I started with Fundamentals and loved it. I like your approach as to when I should add H1. I've read some of your posts and you've done a great job with this program! Did I read in one of your posts that you recently installed some stall bars? That's something I'd like to do in the future.

Suzanna McGee
2 hours ago, Ted Rarrick said:

Did I read in one of your posts that you recently installed some stall bars? That's something I'd like to do in the future.

Yes, I did install beautiful stall bars in my living room :) I wish I would have done it earlier. Don't wait. You will love them. So why not sooner than later? 

Ronnicky Roy

Something to be said for easy access. 

Richard Thomas

Really tighten that core. I find even the slightest amount of relaxation will influence loss of form in the back. Regulating my breathing to maintain tension in the core helps immensely.

Tanya Hill

Great tip Richard. :)